DVB-T2 as DVB-T and unexpected weak signal (1 Viewer)

ufo

Portal Member
February 25, 2013
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hello everyone,
I am trying to install an external tuner DVB-T2, the August DVB-T210.

However, on many channels (not all), the signal seems to be really weak ... at least I think it is a signal problem, because every 5-6 seconds it returns a picture like the following:
TSB21038P0000R01190001061619521.jpg

I am sure that the DVB-T210 works well (I tried it with other programs such as DVBViewer and the original software included in the package), and the signal is strong and stable.

First, the USB receiver is recognized as a simple DVB-T instead of DVB-T2.
Then, as suggested in previous posts for receivers DVB-T2 I tried to increase the setting timeout from 2 to 3-4 seconds (and over), but the problem remains.

Is there some other setting that I can try to fix it?

Thank you all for your support!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

However, on many channels (not all), the signal seems to be really weak ... at least I think it is a signal problem, because every 5-6 seconds it returns a picture like the following...
    Signal quality is the same in all software. If it's fine in DVBViewer then it's fine in MP. Of course I'm assuming that you're comparing for the same channels/frequencies...

Note that the pixelation you're seeing (as per the screenshot) can be caused by other things too. For example, HDD load. I strongly suggest you post log files so people can check out what's actually going on, rather than guessing.

First, the USB receiver is recognized as a simple DVB-T instead of DVB-T2.
    That's normal for TV Server. With Windows' BDA tuner framework there's no way to distinguish between DVB-T and DVB-T2 tuners. DVBViewer has a manually maintained database of tuner vendor/model information, which is why they can distinguish. TV Server doesn't have such a database. The way the tuner is labelled in the user interface does not affect how TV Server controls it... or anything else.

In short: while true, this observation is irrelevant to the problem.

Then, as suggested in previous posts for receivers DVB-T2 I tried to increase the setting timeout from 2 to 3-4 seconds (and over), but the problem remains.
    The posts that you've found are only relevant for specific, cheap tuners. Most DVB-T2 tuners don't need that setting to be tweaked.
    Also, that issue is completely different to what you're dealing with. If you had that problem then TV Server wouldn't have found any channels when scanning, and you wouldn't be able to tune any channels.

In short: this is irrelevant for you.

Is there some other setting that I can try to fix it?
    No, not in TV Server. Please post log files as requested so that we can check out what is going on:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Note that log files are a standard requirement. We'd appreciate it if you would always post them in future.

Regards,
    mm

ufo

Portal Member
    February 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I want to really thank you both for courtesy and for the study really detailed.
    I'm sorry that I did not immediately attached the log, but I'm still a novice mediaportal.
    Anyway here it is.

Obviously the channel tested is the same viewed correctly and with a strong signal on DVBViewer.

Thank you for any support you still want to give me.
    In any case, I learned something new!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again, and thank you for the log files :)

They show that the problem is certainly on the server side... which rules out the possibility of a playback issue.
    Next step is to check:
    1. That the frequency for the "Mediaset Studio Universal - Premium" channel is the same in DVBViewer as in TV Server. Note TV Server has it as 754 MHz (754000 kHz).
    2. That DVBViewer has no problem showing that channel.
    Regards,
    mm

ufo

Portal Member
    February 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Just checked, I confirm that:
    1. The frequency for that channel is 754000 Khz on both. There are same values also for other parameters (Stream ID, Service PID, Band Width...)
    2. DVBViever shows that channel "fluidly" and without any interruption/pixelation effect.
    Next Step? :)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Great. :)

Next step is to:
    1. Close DVBViewer.
    2. Open TV Server configuration.
    3. Go to the manual control section.
    4. Select the "Mediaset Studio Universal - Premium" channel.
    5. Start timeshifting.
    Now you should be able to see the timeshift file name, signal strength/quality, and discontinuity counter for the channel. When the discontinuity counter is stable (ie. not increasing), it means you should be able to view the channel "fluidly" ( :) ); when it is not stable, you'd see pixelation, stuttering etc.

I'd expect that the discontinuity counter will be steadily increasing over time.

Next, while TV Server configuration is still open and timeshifting:
    1. Open Windows task manager.
    2. Go to the performance tab.
    3. Select resource monitor.
    Please report the HDD utilisation/load percentage/reading.

ufo

Portal Member
    February 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    In Fact...the discontinuity counter is steadily increasing over time (Bingo?).
    It also seems strange the "Signal Quality", which as I said above, is very low.

Hereafter the screenshot of the requested performances...

Attachments

• Performances.jpg
      Performances.jpg
      411.3 KB
    • HDD Monitor.jpg
      HDD Monitor.jpg
      255.6 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In Fact...the discontinuity counter is steadily increasing over time (Bingo?).
    The fact that you can reproduce the problem at will is definitely good, but the increasing discontinuity counter is just a symptom.

It also seems strange the "Signal Quality", which as I said above, is very low.
    That's probably a red herring. Like I said, if DVBViewer doesn't have a problem then your signal quality is fine.

Hereafter the screenshot of the requested performances...
    Right, so it looks like your timeshift buffer is on C:, which is an SSD drive.

How full is the drive?
    Do you run any anti-virus/spyware/malware software?

ufo

Portal Member
    February 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    This (main) SSD has 29GB free of 56 GB.
    As Antivirus, I use AVG free edition 2015.

I add another piece of information that (hopefully) can be useful: I also use a satellite card (Skystar HD2) but it does not have this problem at the time.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Please try to [temporarily] disable AVG, and see if it makes any difference. I ask you to do this because security software has been proved to cause exactly these kinds of problems in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom