DVB-T2 signal monitor (1 Viewer)

Vic Thornley

Portal Member
November 12, 2012
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Have googled around for one but have not yet found a software TV signal monitor, does anyone know of one - ie I want to monitor signal levels for drop outs etc, as I am experiencing some pixelation/stutter on both SD and HD channels with my PCTV 920e USB stick

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is it not possible to use the manual control section of TV Server configuration? This shows you signal strength/quality and discontinuities.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    What are discontinuities ?

Normally, packets missing from the data stream - the data from the broadcaster is divided into 188 byte packets, and each one carries a 'continuity counter' so that the receiver can tell if packets go missing. The TsWriter and TsReader logs will will have 'discontinuity' messages if any missing/corrupted packets are detected - quite often this is caused by reception problems (or sometimes PC performance problems).

Tony

Vic Thornley

Portal Member
    November 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Ok, I see now - ran some test with TV server config, timeshift.
    Set Timeshift running 15 mins, had 30 discs'
    Set record 15 minutes, had 13 discs.
    Would that be acceptable ?

Incidentally when playing a video or live TV, with shift+1, 'drops' run into 100's, I guess that my on board GPU.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, I would say you may have a slight issue with signal quality, but the bigger problem is likely your GPU or your video codec choice.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Vic

The other thing you might to check is latency, run the DPCLatency.exe (standalone, no installation), open\close a few programs network or video related preferably and see if anything causes a spike to show.

Attachments

• dpclat.zip
      133.3 KB
    Last edited:

Vic Thornley

Portal Member
    November 12, 2012
    Home Country
    I would hope that my signals would be ok having just spent money on a TV aerial engineer to put in 2 extra feeds into 2 rooms, along with new cabling and checking reception, looked all good on his signal box - but then again I am not an expert on this so he could have told me anything, however - live TV is miles better than before. May do test by putting my server in all three rooms and comparing. the GPU am hoping to upgrade soon, Codecs will sort out on final build (will need to reinstall OS as its quite bloated and drivers are probably going to be a mess). Currently using LAV for audio, have set video to use LAV in both config setting and MP settings, but whenever I use shift+1- it states using MS DVD-DVT codec ?

PD, thanks for the app, what am i going to be looking for.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom