DVD menu gives black screen (1 Viewer)

Den70

Portal Member
February 22, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
I recently upgraded to Mediaportal 1.5. Until yesterday I was very happy with the upgrade. Everything works as it should. But yesterday I stumbled on a problem when trying to play a DVD.

I tried a couple of DVD's now and with a lot of DVD's I get a black screen instead of the DVD menu. Others do start up but are terribly slow. I have been playing around with the codecs but that doesn't seem to make a difference. LAV, Microsoft codecs, ffdshow, Powerdvd codecs with the corresponding navigator: all give a blank screen.

The DVD-player does work with other software so the player is not the problem. The logs don't get my further. I hope anyone else can make something of it.

Specs:
Mediaportal 1.5 + Windows 7 32bits

Last edited:

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I can confirm this issue. Been bothering me for years. But since I rarely play dvd 's, I never made a report about it.
    But today I played a dvd and I got the issue. If you press the DVD menu button ("d" on keyboard) the menu appears! But it's not user friendly this way.

Maybe @Owlsroost can help?

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This is what I found in the Wiki:

DVD Menus are black

Reason:
    The DVD Navigation filters are very sensitive to the video and audio filters (codecs) you use.
    If these filters are "incompatible", then you might encounter none working DVD menues.
    Solution:
    The only solution for this issue is to use a working combination of "DVD Navigator" and audio/video codecs.
    It's known that the inbuild DVD Navigator and audio/video codec of Windows Vista are working well together.
    The DVD Navigator and audio/video codec from PowerDVD 7 are working very well too.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I tried installing saf 6.22 unlocked and set "cyberlink video/sp decoder" as mpeg2 videocodec. Seems to solve this issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom