DVD Playback, what is your experience with it? (1 Viewer)

fera

Portal Pro
October 13, 2005
Hey,

i was trying to watch some dvds over mp but it really didnt work out that well... the whole navigation though the menu didnt work. I changed the video codec threee times (cyberlink, the standard mp codec and one codec its name i cant recall) but it didnt changed that much.

Is that normal? Has mp allways such problems with dvds or is it just my configuration? What codecs what you recommend?

Thanks for you time.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Navigation can die on me too. Even though when you push a button the selection moves, it doesn't show that it's moved on screen. So you can move about in menus with some guess work, it's not completely broken!

Ronilse, what DVD navigator are you using? I'm also using a MCE remote and Nvidia codecs, but my navigation doesn't function properly.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    I just use the default DVD Navigator & BlueTwo Metal Dark as skin. Can’t say I miss anything when watching DVDs.

On the MCE remote Play, Pause, Stop, Forward, Backward, Skip, DVD menu & info button are most used. I never use Keyboard or Mouse in MP, it’s just there if something doesn’t work.

This week my kids & I have watched “The Chronicles of Narniaâ€, 3 long films over several days and everything have been working without a glitch. So for me MP & DVD are “pure happiness†:p
    Maybe we don’t use it in the same way?

Regards
    Roy

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Maybe it's just that DVDs on the other side of the world work properly :D

I'll have another play around with the latest CVS.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    Dont watch many/any DVDs myself but others in the house havent made any complaints so there cant be any problems here.

DVD Navigator + Nvidia codecs

KublaKhan

Portal Member
    November 18, 2005
    Yeah, I have had problems with playing DVD's with MP.
    It takes a while to work out. I wish that the DVD playback was a bit better. I don't understand why MP can't use VideoLan code (which happens to be very good and stable & supports many codecs, formats, & plays .iso files too!). VideoLan is opensource too isn't it? At least then I wouldn't have to configure which DVD decoder I want to use.
    I'm not sure, but... Can it really be all that hard to plug VLC into MP's interface?

What do you guys think? Do I make a good point or do you like what is in MP already?

Just my opinion,

KublaKhan

denybear

Portal Member
    April 10, 2005
    If you ask me, DVD is probably the poorest feature of MP.
    I have (and always had) menu issues, which seem to be codec and navigator dependant.
    All in all, I never managed to have a 100% working configuration. There is always a DVD that does not work (no menu selection, sometimes no menu display at all).

Topics are raised regularly (every week / 2 weeks) by some users about this, but surprisingly enough, the developers never reacted to this issue. I guess it happens with some configurations only, and not with others...

See also http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11951&highlight=

CoolHammer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2004
    Finland
    Hi,

I have had several issues with dvd:s during mine MP using history. Currently i have excelent playback of DVD:s

Few tips that i have found useful when tackling down those dvd issues.
    1. Navigator matters ... use a same navigator as video codec
    2. Codecs matters
    3. Make sure your setting works ok by testing it with eg windvd or powerdvd apps.

I currently have powerdvd6 deluxe installed on mine htpc. I use powerdvd codecs and navigation. I have tweaked registry to enable digital out with SPDIF.

I had 14hours session of LOTR few days ago. That really prooved capability of MP on DVD playback

CoolHammer

PS: Good movie that LOTR :)

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    consistently problems with DVD navigator. Loosing contact with MP.

The "do you want to continue playing DVD from where you stopped last time" takes 1 or 2 minutes before I can get any contact with MP

I will try using an external DVD-player instead, even though it kind of goes against the "all in one" idea

regards
    Knut

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom