DVD rips (.vob files) slow to play due to Mediainfo (1 Viewer)

stargate12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I posted this on another thread but they seem to be dead or out dated so please forgive me. I have a problem with my DVD rips (.vob files) taking up to 30 secs to play. I have had it for sometime now. It only seems to be slow when scanning .vob files. There is a 20 to 30 second delay in startup of .vob files. If you play .mkv or .avi there is only a 1 to 2 second delay in startup. If I delete the mediainfo.dll the delay disappears. I have attached my logs. I had to use moving pictures to play the files after deleting mediainfo.dll because myVideos wouldn't load the folder. But the delay is present in both myVideos and movingpictures. If I wrap my .vob files in a .mkv wrapper the delay goes away. I have noticed the delay time depends on the number of .vob files mediainfo has to scan. I really don't want to have to convert my .vob files to .mkv if I don't have to. If I need to convert them to .mkv files does anyone know of a good program to automate this? Any help is appreciated.

BADsDAD

January 13, 2013
    Home Country
    I wish I did.. I have the exact same issue. My delay is about 20secs as well, but it's the only thing keeping me using WMC as this is killing the WAF.

Vasilich

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2009
    Germany, Mayence
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    same for me on *.mts files from my camcorder - up to 10 seconds. From Logs i see that delay happens on MediaInfo, and calling MediaInfo on my desktop (directly from Windows explorer, without MediaPortal) causes similar delay.

stargate12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Home Country
    Ok. I still don't know why there is a delay, but I have a work around. If you use something like mkvmerge to turn your dvd files into an mkv file the delay disappears. It only take a few minutes per movie to convert. Not at all ideal but it does work.

pyropath

April 2, 2013
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    I use a neat little program called Appgeeker to convert vob to mp4 file (common used file format).
    It converts to and from many audio and video compression or container formats.

stargate12

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Home Country
    but the thread starter wants it to be converted automatic if i read it right ,...
    Actually I just want to get rid of the 20 sec delay it takes my movies to start. The delay has something to do with MediaInfo. Since my dvd rips are stored as multiple (3 - 6 files) .vob files it takes longer to scan all of the .vob files and start playing them. The only way I have found to get rid of this delay is to convert the .vob files to a container file like .mkv or .mp4.
    If that is the only way to get rid of the delay I would like to know if there is a solution that would batch convert my collection for me.

SimonP

Portal Pro
    March 6, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yet strangely it's fine here using ZoomPlayer and a .vob ripped directly from a DVD (I'm not using Media Portal at present but still check in here). I use MediaInfo daily so it can't be that simple. You say it happens in WMC as well but try VLC (just for a test) as it opened within a couple of seconds here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom