DXVA, OSD and stutter (1 Viewer)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi,

when showing the OSD (channel list, program info, etc.) the live TV is stuttering. This is a known issue, because the focus for hardware acceleration (DXVA) is moved from the TV program to the OSD.

But WHY? The OSD doesn't need hardware acceleration, so why not drawing the OSD with the CPU, so that the live TV is not stuttering?

Regards,
Sascha

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    when showing the OSD (channel list, program info, etc.) the live TV is stuttering. This is a known issue, because the focus for hardware acceleration (DXVA) is moved from the TV program to the OSD.

Incorrect: DXVA is only video decoding related. It wont get disabled when you draw something over the video and mixing those with DirectX.

But WHY? The OSD doesn't need hardware acceleration, so why not drawing the OSD with the CPU, so that the live TV is not stuttering?

You simply cannot draw something over DirectX application without having some severe issues. MP is mixing video and GUI and it cannot draw those separately. if the stuttering happens always when OSD is open then there is a performance issue with the GPU. If the stuttering is only present when the OSD is opened then it is caused by MP and it using synchronous calls from the rendering loop.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, it was just what I read in older threads, so I thought that this was the reason.

Drawing a menu like the channellist or the current program info could'nt be a performance issue of the GPU, because a 10 years old GPU could do this withouth any problems, also a CPU is able to draw such a simple UI.

This issue is only known with MediaPortal. There is no problem with WMC, XBMC, DVBViewer, etc. I don't know why this happens, but it would be really nice if this could be fixed :) I know that my AMD E-450 hasn't the highest performance on the world, but I know that it is more than enough for a HD channel plus OSD (processor and GPU load is very low while running MediaPortal with e.g. Sky HD with OSD)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Drawing a menu like the channellist or the current program info could'nt be a performance issue of the GPU, because a 10 years old GPU could do this withouth any problems, also a CPU is able to draw such a simple UI.

MediaPortal works quite differently, so you simply cannot mix CPU and GPU based drawing. All must be done on GPU with DirectX (ok, to be honest the music visualization is done with CPU based drawing and it is creating all sorts of drawing issues... ).

This issue is only known with MediaPortal. There is no problem with WMC, XBMC, DVBViewer, etc. I don't know why this happens, but it would be really nice if this could be fixed :) I know that my AMD E-450 hasn't the highest performance on the world, but I know that it is more than enough for a HD channel plus OSD (processor and GPU load is very low while running MediaPortal with e.g. Sky HD with OSD)

Probably some bug that others haven't yet encountered :)

Does the issue happen with 1080p channels? Or only with 1080i content? And how about SD channels? Also does the stuttering happen for whole time when the OSD is open or just when opening it?

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This happens on all channels, also on SD channels and it is stuttering all the time while the OSD is visible. After closing the OSD the stuttering stops immediately :)

Also navigating throw the channellist is fluid while the tv program is stuttering in the background, so it is not a performance issue, otherwise the UI wouldn't be fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom