Dynamic Refresh Rate and LAV (and maybe .mkv) (1 Viewer)

kirk1

Portal Member
March 10, 2008
Adelaide
Home Country
Australia Australia
I really hate reading a thread and there being no conclusion. So after a week I've had some time to troubleshoot this issue.

First thing I did was throw away the case. The layout of the case had the hd sitting half over the chipset fan. I decided to get a timber board and mount everything to that giving the components room to breathe. Seeing the htpc is sitting in a cupboard there is no issue with needing it to look pretty. The result there is the htpc is running a lot cooler.

That didn't resolve the issue in full, however video was breaking up after an hour or so of use and that problem was resolved.

Next I reinstalled win7 .... I tried a different copy as the version I "acquired" had integrated updates and who knows what other tweaks.

With the new win7 install I now was not having issues with the dynamic refresh rate, but was still having issues getting every file type playing. Fixing one file type seemed to break another.

So after playing around with codec settings for an hour or so I uninstalled SAF and decided to try shark007 codec pack. My intent was only to try this to troubleshoot.

With Shark007 installed and my issues are resolved, I was cautious using this codec pack as there have been mixed reviews but after all the issues I experienced I figure if it works I should just leave it. Everything looks and plays better than ever!

Only issues I experienced was a major drop in volume that was not present with SAF. I have fixed this by using the loudness equalisation in the sound properties. Again not a fix I really like, but it works and works well.

TV channel changes now take a little longer than before, tried a few different settings with no luck. I will live with it though as everything is working so well.

Hope that info helps someone :)

Thanks to the people in this thread that helped out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom