Easy way to choose music/radio without turning on TV? (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi,

I convinced my gf to let the HTPC handle everything, including all music and radio playback. We have all our CD's stored on the HTPC's HD.

However, our TV is a 50" RPTV, which is not something you turn on to casually choose a few CD's to listen to. Therefore im contemplating some way to be able to easily list and choose music without actually turning on the 50" monster.

One way (which im currently using) is to just log in via VNC from another PC and start some music. However, having to turn on anther computer is not very smooth.

Im considering the following alternatives:

* A seperate small LCD screen which could be in standby until MP recieved an infrared signal from the remote.
    * Using a PDA as remote, choosing music on the PDA's display.

Does MP portal support a second display in either of the above two ways?(with the smaller LCD it would be sufficient to support a second cloned display in a lower resolution, maybe modern graphics card drivers can handle that?)

If so, i would appreciate some pointers. If not, then i would appreciate knowing how everybody else is handling this.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi Ziphnor,

that's exactly the reason, why i bought the x15e as a case, which has a LCD Touchscreen included.
    The touchscreen is defined as the secondary screen on my graphics card.
    So i can't see any reason, why it wouldn't be possible to attach a LCD as a secondary display, so that you don't need to turn on your "monster".

regards,

Hlemut

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    hwahrmann said:
    The touchscreen is defined as the secondary screen on my graphics card.
    So i can't see any reason, why it wouldn't be possible to attach a LCD as a secondary display, so that you don't need to turn on your "monster".

How are the displays set up? Did you set the lcd in clone mode or as desktop extension? And did you need to do any special setup in media portal, or would any lcd work?

I think im going to go with a small touchscreen lcd, but i would still like to know if anyone managed to do something with a PDA.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am interested in how you have it set up, too. And, how well does it work?

I have a DLP projector connected as my only display, but I would like to only have to turn it on when I want to watch TV, a DVD or a video.

What is the resolution of your LCD Touchscreen display, and can you really use the touch-screen part with MediaPortal?

Can the LCD Touchscreen be disabled when you are watching TV, or a DVD?

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Sorry for answering late. Have a week of skiing behind me.

ziphnor:

I've setup the LCD as primary and my CRT TV is set as clone with a S-VHS cable connection.

No special setup in MP needed at all.

Taipan:

The LCD is used as the primary screen as i mentioned above. Quality is ok.

the resolution of the LCD Touchscreen is 1024x768 and that's exactly the same size i'm cloning to the CRT.

My Case, the x15e from Origenae, has a Button, also controllable via IR Remote, to turn off the LCD, while watching TV / DVD.

Usability: Well, some buttons, especially in My Music, are a bit too small.
    I'm thinking of changing some of the screens to make it easier to hit them, but in general it works ok.
    Especially my two 7-year old girlies like to select their music via touch screen. Their fingers are smaller, so they don't have Dad's problem.

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    hwahrmann said:
    the resolution of the LCD Touchscreen is 1024x768 and that's exactly the same size i'm cloning to the CRT.

And there would be my problem. Im going to be using a 1280x720 HDTV, and i dont think ill find a small touchscreen with that resolution :)

Im afraid i would be unable to use clone mode if i had say a 800x600 lcd and a 1280x720p TV unless the LCD view could just be scaled down(it doesnt have to look pretty ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom