Tools and other software edit TV recordings, Avidemux (1 Viewer)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I looked at that. It didn't meet my definition of 'decent' :)

VdR

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    VdR

if you cut out something in the middle (like ads) can this app handle the audio and video streams correctly? I mean if there are 2 audio streams the streams will not be missed or changed, and if the add 4:3 is and the film 16:9 the aspect ratio stays correct. How is your experience? It looks promising.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Unbelievably but true, the TV channels I usually record rarely interrupt movies for commercials :) so I don't know.

There is a 21 day free trial, give it go!

VdR

pantner

Portal Member
    June 16, 2009
    Home Country
    i know this is a little old, i have been looking at this.

I found FFMPEG, a free command line video converter, and i use this command line to convert .TS files

ffmpeg.exe -i recording.ts -b 1000k -s 1024x576 -vcodec libxvid -acodec copy recording.avi

a workmate of mine is a wiz with VB scripts and he scripted it for me so it does a batch convert of everything in a specific folder.

i think there are GUI programs that use FFMPEG

crawdaddy

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2006
    Why not use mpeg2cut2? here: Mpg2Cut2

Works perfect for me. You can cut at keyframes, cut your recording "intro" and "outro" :) relult is still .ts (playable in MP always untill now). It can keep all your audiotracks. The result can be loaded in XMedia Recode XMedia Recode
    (freeware) and transcoded into whatever you want (mkv with several audio tracks with aac, AC3 etc, divX, Xvid, iPod compatible stuff etc.).

This is my way, trying a lot of stuff (ProjectX, PVAStrumento, DVRPro, NeroRecode, TSRemux....) Simplest and best.

I use h.264 as video codec (2pass variable bitrate, with B-Frames) and AAC as audiocodec, mkv as container. It can keep pixel aspect ratio (like anamprh 16:9 movies), crop black bars (you can even decode cinamescope movies to 21:9 cutting bars and keeping anamprphic pixels) Superb quality!

What bitrate are you encoding the video to? I'm trying to find the sweet spot for good quality at 720p. Thanks!

kszabo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2007
    Germany, Bayern
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I use h.264 1200 kbps for SDTV (720x575 px, 25 fps), 2-pass VBR. But you can go down to 1000, still works very nice.

For 720p I would use h.264 3000-4000 kbps VBR (1-pass average or 2-pass) at 25 fps (depends on the source, 24p, PAL/NTSC). 720p has about 2x more pixels than SDTV, so it should work at 2400 kbps above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom