Effects plugin (1 Viewer)

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
The plugin is available here, its a process plugin so lives in plugins\process. To use the effect you need to add the following to the respective xml skin files:

Code:
<control><id>666</id><type>imageeffect</type><texture>effect1.png</texture><speed>3</speed></control>

Speed is optional, default value is 4. The value relates to 'move the image every x frames', where x is speed. Its not the most appropriate name.

The graphics make or break the effect and as such I'll leave it to you to create your own or for Samsonite to let you have his.

eLow

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
The Netherlands
Works like a charm, especially when using images that scroll at different speeds. Is it possible to define scroll directions?

Edit: defining directions might not be necessary. Just found out that the illusion of horizontal movement can be achieved when the angle they are drawn at is +45 degrees.

Edit 2: OTOH, defining directions would be nice :)

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    What image did you use as effects1.png ? Could you share it with the rest of us?
    I don't really get the way it works...

Thnx

eLow

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Inker said:
    What image did you use as effects1.png ? Could you share it with the rest of us?
    I don't really get the way it works...

This is just my first test, not really enough transparency, so the weather forecast for today is: dense fog. :)

With me it doesn't work in home.xml though. Looks like the home screen is initialised before the process plug-in is loaded or something like that. And resizing doesn't work well either.

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I'm too stupid I think....

I added
    <control><id>666</id><type>imageeffect</type><texture>fog.png</texture><speed>9</speed></control>
    to myvideo.xml under skin/BlueTwo

then I copied fog.png into skin/BlueTwo/Media

is this not right?

I dont see anything under myvideo (tried this one since oyu said home doesnt work)

Can you tell me what im doing wrong?

EDIT: I can now actually see some white image overlayed over the sreen and moving slowly.......but its def. not the intented effect.

oh well, i guess ill just wait till its released.

htpcNoob

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2005
    New thread w/ topic change

Great plugin Smirnoff. I think you should rename your thread and/or make the plugin top-most topic with download link so that others can enjoy the goodness :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    I've done some quick changes to the plugin. You can now specify a direction:

Code:
    <direction>up</direction>

Possible values are left, right, up and down.

The effect should now work on the home window too.

I've removed the hard coded dimensions (slapped wrist) but haven't addressed the whole resizing thing in any detail yet.

If you put the following in your xml files, you'll get a very nice subtle effect:

Code:
    <control><id>666</id><type>imageeffect</type><texture>fog2.png</texture><direction>up</direction></control>
    <control><id>666</id><type>imageeffect</type><texture>fog2.png</texture><direction>down</direction></control>

The plugin can be downloaded here.

Enjoy.

eLow

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Smirnoff said:
    I've done some quick changes to the plugin. You can now specify a direction:

Great! Looking really good. Setting different speeds in your example improves the effect even more. I'll try out some different moving backgrounds with color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom