Electrical Interference (1 Viewer)

gfiveash

Portal Member
March 12, 2005
Sydney, Australia
I don't know if anybody can help me with this but I get stuttering of my Digital TV picture whenever I turn on lights, open fridge doors etc & it goes crazy when using the steamer iron.

I have quad shield RG6 cable, the PC is plugged into a mains filter power board, the antenna cable goes nowhere near electrical cabling(infact at the moment the cable runs straight down the antenna mast along the roof of the house then in through a window right next to the PC), I have put ferrite core around the antenna lead at the PC but still I have this interference. I have tried the PC at my brother house & all is perfect so I have ruled out any issues with the PC.

It seems worse on the lower frequency channels especially channel 7 in Sydney, I have excellent signal strength above 90% so I've run out of ideas.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Greg

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi gfiveash (Greg)

What your suffering from sounds like a possible earth fault on your house wiring. Does your fusebox use a earth leakage breaker circuitry,
    as in if a light blows or anything stops working, do you just flip a reset switch or is it fusewire. If the former you should not have any wiring problem. If fusewire You need an electrician to find your fault.

8)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    One thing you might try (I have read elswhere of this solving a similar problem) is to connect the outer braid (the shield) of your TV lead-in cable to a really good earth - is there a buried copper water pipe (garden tap) near where the cable comes through the window that you could connect it to?

It really sounds like the TV coax shield is not tied to a really good "ground" or earth point. If you don't have a suitable earth point nearby, then get a copper earth stake from an electician's supply store (they are about 50cm long) and drive that into the ground and connect the shield of the coax to that.

As Paranoid Delusion says - sounds like you need to get an electrician to check the mains earthing too.

elconejito

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    sounds like the "noise" might be coming from your power maybe? I would assume the Power Supply (PSU) in the computer, but if it works fine elsewhere, then maybe it is the power coming from your outlet? Do you have a UPS or similar attached to your computer? Does it make a difference (better or worse) if you plug directly into the wall outlet?

Does this signal go to any other TVs in your house, or just into MP box?

ting

Portal Member
    February 8, 2005
    Sandvika, Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I don't know if this is related, but here goes.
    Here in Norway the national safety administration (losely translated) :wink: has issued a warning specially related to flatscreen TV's. The problem is related to weather the TV's powercord has a grounded powercord.

Those that do are at HI risk of causing electricutions and fire, if they are connected to something else thats grounded as well (IE PC, and television Cable). It's a very new discovery, but they seem to take it very seriosly. The fix is a television cable with some special cable or something. In norwegian it's called a "galvanisk skille", translated, I think it means galvanic separator. Here's a link to the article, sorry it's in norwegian http://www.dsb.no/Article.asp?ArticleID=1931

I don't know anything about electricity, but the store where i bought the TV is sending me one of those cables.

(Don't know if it's relevant, but in norway we have 220v outlets.)

antonyfirewalk

Portal Member
    November 28, 2004
    UK
    Electricity interference

Hi there, yes this is definetly an erathing problem. as most home theatre equipment is made without earth. problem can easily be fixed by a copper earth spike. or by earthing it to any earthed copper water pipe in the house.. i used the spike and it works fine..my problem was if i turned the kitchen light on the tv went mad and kitchen light even flickered.
    copper earth spikes are available from any good eletrical supply store.
    Hope this helps.

Antony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom