Enable/Disable Bitstreaming on LAV Audio Decoder ? (1 Viewer)

Peterpack

Portal Member
April 21, 2010
Home Country
Hi guys

I just got a new AV receiver so i want to configure things to get things to the Receiver as easily as possible

I am now using the MediaPortal Audio Renderer and it says in the setup for this to disable all bitstreaming in the LAV Audio Decoder, but isn't bitstreaming good as it gets the audio data to your receiver untouched ?

So should i enable to disable bitstreaming in the LAV Audio Decoder if i am using the LAV Audio Decoder and Media Portal Audio Renderer ?

Is there a better option of Decoder/renderer for getting audio to a good AV Receiver ?

thanks !

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

As it says in this excellent guide:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/guide-perfect-playback-display-calibration.119610/

LAV Audio filter has bitstreaming/pass-through disabled. If the audio is decoded rather than passed directly then MPAR can change the audio playback speed to match the display's refresh rate.

So yes, bitstreaming does get the audio data to your receiver untouched... but for truly perfect playback, sometimes that actually isn't what you want. Without the explanation it seems a bit counter-intuitive, but hopefully now it makes sense? :)

Regards,
    mm

Peterpack

Portal Member
    April 21, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks for the guide :)

I set up everything exactly in the guide. Sounds okay but on my receiver it is saying the input is PCM for everything, is this because everything is being re-encoded to some degree by the Mediaportal audio renderer ?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    PCM is decoded/decompressed 'raw' digitised audio, so it's actually the best quality format (along with lossless compressed formats like FLAC).

(PCM = Pulse Code Modulation, the technical name for the standard method of digitising audio).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom