Enabling GPU for MP (1 Viewer)

Arshad

Portal Member
February 6, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all,

To enable my gpu at full power processing for mp, is the settings seen in the screen shot attached all i have to do?

Been trying to play 4k mkv and a lot of stuttering.my gpu is quite powerful and I'm surprise that it can't handle actual 4k.

My projector is tw9200w 1080p, youtube and netflix 4ks working fine.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-03-25-12-48-22-344.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-03-25-12-48-22-344.jpeg
    160.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If I were you I'd:
    • change DXVA native (faster) instead of DXVA copy-back (slower and usually unnecessary)
    • untick HEVC (definitely not supported by your GPU
    • untick UHD (I'm pretty sure this is not supported by your GPU)

Arshad

Portal Member
    February 6, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Okay thanks, still stuttering the 4k videos - I have a few follow up questions if you don't mind:

I noted that the 4k video had the same level of stutter with this gpu, less powerful gpu and onboard intel cpu. It may not be a processing power but a codec issue instead? do you think 1.16 with new LAV could make a difference?

When you asked me to change to DXVA native, I cannot choose My gpu from the "hardware device to use" drop down menu anymore, does that mean that MP is gone back to onboard intel cpu for processing?

thanks - appreciate your help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I noted that the 4k video had the same level of stutter with this gpu, less powerful gpu and onboard intel cpu. It may not be a processing power but a codec issue instead? do you think 1.16 with new LAV could make a difference?
    I can't answer these questions without more information.

Please use the provided Watchdog tool with option 1 ("report a bug") to start MP in debug mode, then play a few videos for ~30 seconds each to show the stutter. While each video is playing, press [shift] + [1] (ie. !) to show the rendering statistics on screen, then take a screenshot. Finally close MP. You can attach ("upload a file") the screenshots and zip file produced by the Watchdog to your next reply. If you want, feel free to upload one set of log files for the powerful GPU, another for the less powerful GPU, another for the CPU etc.

P.S. If you have more than one GPU active at a time, that in itself can cause stutter... especially if MP is not on the primary display/monitor.

When you asked me to change to DXVA native, I cannot choose My gpu from the "hardware device to use" drop down menu anymore, does that mean that MP is gone back to onboard intel cpu for processing?
    No. It means that the system's default GPU is doing the processing. CPU is only used if (1) DXVA is disabled (ie. "none" is selected) or (2) if DXVA cannot be used (eg. video format not supported).

Arshad

Portal Member
    February 6, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    See attached, but that's only for the first 5 seconds, once the sttuterring starts, the debug info disappears.

What I've noticed is, playing a normal 1080 mkv, cpu usage is about 10% average with my i3 Intel. Playing 4k netflix mkv (25gigs), averages around 48% and at the beginning, i even saw 96% momentarily. Could it be my processor that's not powerful enough?

The sttuterring 4k video is in mkv at 50gigs

Attachments

• IMG_20170327_174714.jpg
      IMG_20170327_174714.jpg
      2.8 MB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As you can see -->here<--, full support for 4k/UHD h.264 DXVA was added for UVD v5 and R9 285 cards. Your HD 7800 series card is older. It "only" supports UVD v3 and HD h.264 DXVA. There's no support for 4k/UHD h.264 DXVA. So, your CPU must be used to decode these videos.

The screenshot shows that the CPU is running at 25%. Since it's a quad core CPU, that means one core is probably running at or close to 100% => overloaded.

In summary: your AMD GPU does not support 4k/UHD h.264 DXVA, and your CPU isn't powerful enough to decode it either.

However... I think the GPU included with your CPU may be able to do it.
    i3-4150 has Haswell 4400 graphics.
    Intel's Haswell - An HTPC Perspective: Media Playback, 4K and QuickSync Evaluated
    4K H.264 decode using DXVA2 Native and QuickSync modes in LAV Video Decoder works without issues

Side note...
    @Stéphane Lenclud
    MP 1.15, repeated exceptions in SharpLib.Hid. One per second:
    [collapse]
    [2017-03-27 17:33:20,042] [Error ] [MPMain ] [ERROR] - InputDevices - WndProc - exception caught from InputDevice: MediaPortal.InputDevices.HidListener System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    at SharpLib.Hid.Event.GetDirectionPadState()
    at SharpLib.Hid.Event..ctor(Message aMessage, HidEventRepeatDelegate aRepeatDelegate, Boolean aRepeat, Int32 aRepeatDelayInMs, Int32 aRepeatSpeedInMs)
    at SharpLib.Hid.Handler.ProcessInput(Message& aMessage)
    at MediaPortal.InputDevices.HidListener.WndProc(Message& msg, Action& action, Char& key, Keys& keyCode)
    at MediaPortal.InputDevices.InputDevices.WndProc(Message& msg, Action& action, Char& key, Keys& keyCode)[/collapse]

Arshad

Portal Member
    February 6, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks, my other gpu is Asus R7 250 2GD5, don't know how to find out if this one is compatible, could you check and let me know please?

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom