Encoding TS files from TV Server to H264 or xvid (1 Viewer)

crawdaddy

Portal Pro
July 24, 2006
Greetings all,

I have been trying to determine good settings and a procedure to help save space by encoding my TV recordings from TV-Server to either h.264 or xvid. As of now, I'm using Mpg2Cut to cut the commericals out of the video. I'm then feeding the cut TS file into XMedia Recode to try to encode the video to h.264 or xvid. I have had some success with h.264, but I'm having a very tough time getting the exact settings dialed in to produce approximately 350mb files per half-hour of video. It's looking like a constant quality of 20.0 is doing ok, but sometimes the audio is out of sync.

What procedures, codecs, and settings are other people using to re-encode TS files from TV-Server into something more drive-space friendly. Thanks to everyone in advance!

crawdaddy

Portal Pro
July 24, 2006
Thanks for the guidance. I'll give those a shot when I get the chance. It seems that I've found settings that work most of the time for encoding to h.264 and mp3. Now to figure out why my client box doesn't seem to like to run smooth DXVA when it comes out of standby...

Any other processes/settings people use to encode for smaller filesizes?

Thanks!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MCEBuddy, set it for 15 or 30 days before it converts anything and of course .ts format, uses comskip (supplied) to detect and remove ads from the final h.264 encode :)

crawdaddy

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2006
    Do you have a link for MEBuddy? A google search doesn't appear to reveal a website for it. Using comskip would definitely be nice if it accurately cuts commercials, though I'd still have to manually cut the video to pull out the pre-roll and post-roll that I record to make sure I get the whole show.

Thanks,

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    VideoReDo now works with H264 content and works very well so far for me.

It doesn't encode though (only copies the bits of the stream you want to keep). So I used handbrake for that like the guys have suggested above.

Robbo100

postacalda

Portal Member
    August 4, 2006
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Cypheros DVB

english version for TS-doctor

About MCE buddy: good program but version 2.x is still beta since years... anybody knows when will it finally sees light ? Version 2.x is supposed to manage double language in .ts streams

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom