MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 22, 2010
    Tekirdağ
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    Hi,

Here is the situation:

There are 2 same channels on my satellite.

1. X TV --> Provider A --> with EPG --> Scrambled --> I can not watch it.
    2. X TV --> Provider B --> without EPG --> Free to air --> I can watch it.

Is there any way to map X TV (1) epg to X TV (2) channel?

Regards.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello ssenyer

I hope you are well! :)

Is there any way to map X TV (1) epg to X TV (2) channel?
    Sorry, not with the DVB EPG grabber.
    You could do it with the XMLTV or WebEPG plugins where manual mapping is available, but not with DVB EPG unless you create a script to modify the database contents directly.
    Maybe consider to use EPG Collector + XMLTV plugin for EPG?

Regards,
    mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    what about combining these channels to one and activate DVB EPG only for one with EPG?
    Mapping and DVB EPG grab enable/disable is at the channel level, so if you combine the channels then mapping and enable/disable affect both. Also, you can't control which tuning detail is used for EPG grabbing unless the channels are different types (eg. DVB-S and DVB-T) and you disable grabbing with certain tuner types.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Does that mean our wiki explanation i posred above is wrong?
    Yes definitely, because these two points are not possible at the same time:
    • Combine the DVB channels with the analog channels
    • Enable the "EPG Only" mapping option for the DVB channel mappings

If you combine the two channels then the same EPG grabbing and mapping configuration applies for all tuning details. You can't have one configuration for one tuning detail and a different configuration for another tuning detail.

I have strong opinions about the channel configuration - grouping, combining, mapping etc. - in TV Server configuration, and unfortunately they're mostly negative. This EPG-only mapping option is a good example. I have always thought that option is utterly pointless, as I can't think of a single use case where it makes sense to use it.

This subject sort of came up a couple of times in the past year or so when I've talked about removing and/or seriously reworking the mapping and EPG grabbing sections. IMHO the way those sections work at the moment (at the channel level) means that you usually can't combine channels. That has always bothered me, because in the past I had HD DVB-T sources with no EPG and SD DVB-S sources with full EPG. There was no way for me to combine and force DVB-S to only be used for EPG grabbing.

In my local TVE 3.5 branch I have made some changes already...

My personal opinion is that the channel mapping section should eventually be removed completely (unnecessary complexity!)... or at least changed to work at the service (tuning detail) level or at the transmitter/transponder level. On several occasions I've been very tempted to hit that delete button but @FreakyJ 's support for keeping it has always held me back. ;)

For now it stays... with some changes. Mapping is now automatic. In other words, when you scan the new channels are automatically mapped to all tuners that can tune the channel type... and if you add a new tuner, all existing channels that match the tuner type are automatically mapped to it. I've also removed the EPG-only option.
    The old combinations section which I always hated ("why can't I merge two channels of the same type?!?", "Ooops, I combined channels by mistake; how can I undo it?!?") is completely gone. To combine or split channels now: just search for the channels you want to combine/split in the TV or radio channels section, select them, and click the merge or split button. Sorting by channel name (to make all the similarly named channels be listed together) should make the process reasonable even if you have many channels... and the search box also supports a search syntax so you can [for example] show only channels from certain providers.

Also on the subject of channel combinations: very soon it will be possible to edit multiple channels at the same time, and drag and drop tuning details between them. It is already possible to prioritise tuning details (so you can prioritise HD or 3D independent of tuner priority).

I haven't yet touched the DVB EPG section, but at some point it will get the works. Possibly it may be changed to work at the service (tuning detail) level or at the transmitter/transponder level... or maybe I will simply add a "grab EPG" option at the tuning detail level. I'll see when I get there...

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    On several occasions I've been very tempted to hit that delete button but @FreakyJ 's support for keeping it has always held me back. ;)
    Hehe, sorry mm :)
    If you come to this section I'm more than happy to have a conversation with you, the last time we were pretty productive (y) Just flick me a private message^^

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hehe, sorry mm :)
    Don't apologise! There's nothing to be sorry for. :)
    I guess what I am saying is that there is some validity to your points. For example, the solutions/alternatives I was proposing last time we talked about this didn't work for people that receive from two cable providers. Perhaps the question that needs to be debated is where we should "draw the line" on the tradeoff between ease-of-configuration for the [vast] majority, and complexity/configurability for the experts with "exotic" setups. There will always be a tension here, and that is very healthy. :)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yeah that's true :)
    my point was more if you want to talk about it, feel free to write me. I think it is sometimes good to talk about some more complex things with another person and sometimes this helps to avoids some design flaws if you know what I mean.
    But this is just my opinion and I definitely don't want to say that you make one for sure! oO

Have a good one ;)

ssenyer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 22, 2010
    Tekirdağ
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    Hello ssenyer

I hope you are well! :)

Sorry, not with the DVB EPG grabber.
    You could do it with the XMLTV or WebEPG plugins where manual mapping is available, but not with DVB EPG unless you create a script to modify the database contents directly.
    Maybe consider to use EPG Collector + XMLTV plugin for EPG?

Regards,
    mm

Hello mm,
    I am well thank you, I hope you are well also.

I will try to create a script for db.

Thank you for your great support as always.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom