EPG-Buddy: so close to no help needed (1 Viewer)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Easy to setup, and almost everything works. One problem (so far), a suggestion, and a question.

Trying to use EPG-Buddy in a new MP 1.3 install (after finally upgrading from a very old 1.2.3). I use tvguide.com as data source.
    A small number of my channels, but not most of them, are time-shifted by several (7 ) hours. The data is correct on tvguide.com. Attached images: 1) EPG-Buddy data setup, 2) tvguide.com image showing channel 13, KOLD 'News 13 @ noon' being on at noon, 3) MP data for KOLD, showing 'New 13 @ Noon' being on at 7pm.
    What other info can I provide to help with this?

Since there is no way to specify 'favorite' channels only for grabbing from tvguide.com, I get over 400 channel names, but only care about 40-50.
    So for me, it would be FAR better to have all the 'xxxx grab from TVGuide' boxes unchecked to start. As is, I 'have' to go through the list deselecting most of them, and multiple select doesn't seem to work. I realize some users might not want this change. I also understand that I don't 'HAVE' to do this, but I hate the inefficiency of grabbing 350+ channels that I don't want.

There is a grab-epg in the scheduled task active list -- but not in the task create/define area. Why not? Where is/was it created?

Thanks.

Attachments

• eb.jpg
      eb.jpg
      182.5 KB
    • tvguide.jpg
      tvguide.jpg
      242 KB
    • mp.jpg
      mp.jpg
      273.3 KB
    Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Hey, why you didn't post to EPG buddy thread
    Right, I even didn't saw this before...

Nevertheless I'll try to answer...
    A small number of my channels, but not most of them, are time-shifted by several (7 ) hours.
    EPG-Buddy in no way does any time modifications at all. It even isn't able to do such. If some of your channels are with a wrong time information there is an issue somewhere else. Possible places are the "raw" EPG data, the import settings in MP or wrong selected channel in source (maybe it is the same channel bu from a different time zone)... This is something I can't help without digging very deep into your private setup...

So for me, it would be FAR better to have all the 'xxxx grab from TVGuide' boxes unchecked to start.
    As you already imagine, most people would "kill" me if I would implement this as you like it. The much better way is to properly setup your lineup at tvguide.com so it contains only the wanted channels. This will speedup the download times a lot as only needed stuff is loaded...

There is a grab-epg in the scheduled task active list -- but not in the task create/define area. Why not? Where is/was it created?
    This I don't understand fully. As my native language isn't English maybe I misunderstand something here...
    The grab-epg.exe helper tool is added to the scheduled tasks in Windows to run once a day (or once per week, depends on how you have configured this) This tool then runs all the various grabbing tasks and exit when everything is done.
    Here this is working as expected...

As this helper tool is a complied script that runs other programs it sometimes is wrongly detected as "Trojan" and is removed by the AV tool without any further notice. If this happens you need to exclude the EPG-Buddy installation folder from being scanned by Defender (or whatever AV you are using) . Then you can run the setup again to fix the things your "very smart" AV software has damaged...

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Because it's already 21 pages long, and I didn't see any reason why ALL questions needed to be in one thread.
    Reason is simple. People actively involved in tool discussion will recieve notification for post in that thread but noone recieve alert about every new post on forum

Отправлено с моего Redmi 3S через Tapatalk

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Because it's already 21 pages long
    FYI the German thread is at 71 pages recently and it still is used.
    The issue is, I didn't see all threads from the forum. Especially if there is not much reaction. The "main" threads giving me (as the author of EPG-Buddy) an alert if a new post (and for this most often a new question) is posted.. Your thread I didn't noticed at all. If @Edalex hasn't answered here I never would have seen it at all and could;'t answer to your questions...

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    The much better way is to properly setup your lineup at tvguide.com so it contains only the wanted channels.
    That's exactly what I try to do, so clearly I am missing something. I have 'Favorites' checked and selected in my tvguide.com account -- but I still get all tvguide channels in the EPG-Buddy 'Select Offered Channels' list, shown in my original post in this thread.
    Only 'Favorites' are shown on tvguide.com, and only 'Favorites' are retrieved by zap2xml.

By the way, your English is excellent.

Last edited:

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    The "main" threads giving me (as the author of EPG-Buddy) an alert if a new post (and for this most often a new question) is posted..
    If that's how you want to do it, it's fine with me.
    In general, I think it's poor form to hijack an existing thread with a new question, and to interleave multiple discussions in the same thread. In addition, I saw several other separate threads with EPG-Buddy questions.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Or I could just keep using zap2xml -- which works well when that data sources (tvguide.com or zap2it.com) are working right (which isn't always)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom