EPG collector & UKskytv (2 Viewers)

Megalocade

May 4, 2023
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi folks

Ive just started using epg collector to import uk freesat epg into mediaportal i have had good success with it so far and when i select freesatuk and grab the epg it creates the xml file to import and all works fine, how ever i have 3 hd stations that wont fill from the tvguide.xml TalkTV HD, GB News HD and CNN HD and i can see why as under normal freesat scanning in epg collector those 3 stations dont show up on the channel list as hd stations just standard, however if i scan channels from ukskytv / opentv in epg collector it will list those 3 hd stations but every time i run the programe to collect epg data from ukskytv its doesnt collect anything, is there settings i need to change for this

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I've just started using epg collector to import uk freesat epg into mediaportal
    MP should be able to do this itself, completely cutting out the need to use EPG Collector. I have never used satellite TV, but I believe that the process for MP is:
    • Scan for channels.
    • Look at the radio channels. There should be a channel with a name something like Programme Guide (or similar).
    • Select the programme guide channel as the grabber channel.
    • Set the other DVB EPG options as you prefer.
    • Job done!
    i have 3 hd stations that wont fill from the tvguide.xml TalkTV HD, GB News HD and CNN HD
    If EPG Collector misidentifies these channels, the MP EPG grabber may do likewise, so using the built-in MP support won't necessarily solve this problem.

If you are a programmer, you could continue to use EPG Collector, but write batch script to modify the xml file so that the three problem channels are marked as HD instead of SD. Hopefully that would allow their EPG info to be imported into MP. I have never tried anything like that, so I don't actually know whether it would work.

If you are not a programmer, I think that you are out of luck. :(

if i grab epgs from ukskytv in epg collector it will list those 3 hd stations but every time i run the programe to collect epg data from ukskytv its doesnt collect anything
    My understanding is that the Sky EPG was originally unencrypted, but Sky changed that several years ago. The channel list presumably is still unencrypted, but the EPG is now encrypted and hence unavailable to open source freeware programs. (I am happy to be corrected if my understanding is incorrect.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Megalocade

May 4, 2023
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply

Yes those 3 stations will populate if i set up mediaportal dvb/epg grabber but the trouble is it will only show programs for now and next program, in fact it did this for all stations this is why i used epg grabber so i could get 7days epg on all my selected stations as without epg grabber i just get now and then of whats on, i will try your first suggestion later and see how i get on, i just need at least a days worth of epg on those stations so i can see whats on as typically the 3 stations i mentioned are the 3 i watch most would have to be these 3 that would cause issues

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    it will only show programs for now and next program, infact it did this for all stations this is why i used epg grabber so i could get 7days epg on all my selected stations
    I have never used EPG Collector, but my understanding is (a lot of that this afternoon) that EPG Collector uses exactly the same information as MP.

I don't have an explanation as to why you got only now-and-next info, but possibly your EPG grabbing settings are not appropriate. If you try again and get the same result as before, take a screenshot of your EPG settings and post it here. Also post screenshots of the "TV channels" and "Radio channels" panels (the latter showing that you have selected the "Programme Guide" channel).

Megalocade

May 4, 2023
    Home Country
    Ok so I've just checked in radio stations and got no program guide or anything remotely close to it, so I'm at a loss now, just tried rescanning channels but nothing new was added.

Scanning channels ive set it to 28.2 Astra 2E,2F,2G in the dropdown menu for satellites.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I've just checked in radio stations and got no program guide or anything remotely close to it
    As I mentioned before, I have never used satellite TV, so I am not an expert in its use :(. There are several old threads on this web site that address the problem of getting the Freesat EPG. The web site search should find them; look for Freesat. Here are some:

If none of the above provide a solution, you might as well continue using EPG Collector, as that works for you (mostly). You could try posting on the EPG Collector forum describing your problem with those three channels to see if anyone has a solution (or send an email to EPG Collector support, if there is such a thing).

Sorry that I have nothing else to suggest. :(

Megalocade

May 4, 2023
    Home Country
    I have seen posts to manually add epg channels in on the radio list but cant find any channel frequency info on needed "programme guide to add the channel

Megalocade

May 4, 2023
    Home Country
    View attachment DSC_1327~2.JPG

Ok some good news after much tearing out of hair lol as i refuse to be beaten at problem solving i managed to find out where EPG Collector gets its epg from and found it gets it from 'freesathome' so cribbed the settings from that and added the freesathome channel to the radio channels and selected that channel only to collect epg from, then went to manual control in the MP config and reset the epg, the whole lot filled with in 10 minuites and now i have a full 7day epg on all my selected stations see above, well chuffed its all working and i can now see whats on and set record schedule to record my program's, if anyone is in a similar situation then I've taken a screen shot of the freesathome channel settings.

View attachment DSC_1324~2.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom