Episodes show up in movie database (1 Viewer)

Jetboy

Portal Pro
April 15, 2005
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I get a lot of tv series showing up in my movie database although I haven't added them. I haven't really looked into this, but it seems that watching an episode in the mp-tvseries plugin adds it to the movie database. Is this by design, or is something wrong with my setup?

I'll do some more extensive testing and post logs as soon as I get the time. For now I'm just checking if someone else has this.

And just to make clear: I truly love this plugin, thanks for all developement!

keith2045

Portal Pro
February 16, 2006
Missouri
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have the same problem. I'm not sure why it happens, but at random times i just see one (or a few) of my tv eps on my movies. I havent really looked into it, i thought that i was the only one.

Keith

nylonhof

Portal Pro
August 5, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have that problem too.
To me it looks like it is adding only those files/episodes, that I do not see completely. I'd assume that it uses this to save the time where I stopped watching the episode.
In anycase it screws up my Video database ....

Regards
nylonhof

kirky

Portal Member
April 30, 2006
Townsville, Oz
Home Country
I have that problem too.
To me it looks like it is adding only those files/episodes, that I do not see completely. I'd assume that it uses this to save the time where I stopped watching the episode.

Regards
nylonhof

Yup, I can confirm I have the same symptoms.

nylonhof

Portal Pro
August 5, 2006
Home Country
Germany Germany
I have that problem too.

Regards
nylonhof

In addition to the above I found some entries in the database that are TV recordings... So I start wondering, if this is actually an issue of the TV Series plug-in or if this might be a more generic problem of MP .... Anybody else found that?
BTW, I found this behaviour both in the current SVN and the 0.2.2.0 release.

Regards
nylonhof

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    No, its a problem with the tv-series plugin.

The problem is in order for us to have info show up on the osd, we have to fake a movie being played (and thus add it to the db). This is because the movie player overwrites any custom tags we may have set before with it thinking it should always look in the movie db and and get values from there (and clear any set tags if it doesnt find anything). Since this has to be done we also decided to use it for stop times since its basically given to us for free.

I discussed this back then with a bunch of people, and it basically is an architechtural problem of MP, not an easy fix and even then at low priority. I don't think there is much than can be done short of disabling info showing up in the osd at all. The plugin already tries to delete entries it has made into the movie db, but this can fail for several reason and if the video wasant played until the end the entries stays so you can resume later on.

I have some ideas on how to minimize the problem....but you know....time ;-)

nylonhof

Portal Pro
    August 5, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, its a problem with the tv-series plugin.

The problem is in order for us to have info show up on the osd, we have to fake a movie being played (and thus add it to the db). This is because the movie player overwrites any custom tags we may have set before with it thinking it should always look in the movie db and and get values from there (and clear any set tags if it doesnt find anything). Since this has to be done we also decided to use it for stop times since its basically given to us for free.

I discussed this back then with a bunch of people, and it basically is an architechtural problem of MP, not an easy fix and even then at low priority. I don't think there is much than can be done short of disabling info showing up in the osd at all. The plugin already tries to delete entries it has made into the movie db, but this can fail for several reason and if the video wasant played until the end the entries stays so you can resume later on.

I have some ideas on how to minimize the problem....but you know....time ;-)

Inker,
    thanks for this explanation. Things start to make sense now.
    Are you aware of any process that the individual user can use to delete residual entries from the database?
    Also, in my case, how and why do the TV recordings end up in the database?

Regards
    nylonhof

pannivas

Portal Pro
    July 26, 2006
    Nicosia
    Home Country
    Cyprus Cyprus
    one reason that i notice this issue happening is when you start playing the episode and instead of pressing the stop button to stop the episode you press the back file on your RC/Keyboard and then start playing another episode.

With the latest stable version if you always press the stop button on your RC/Keyboard you will never leave a movie database entry in your MP.

Junoman

Portal Member
    February 1, 2007
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    ...Possible Suggestion for code rework

I have not yet tried the TV series plugin...but am looking forward to using it in the near future.

What has caught my attention in this thread was the mention to OSD.

Not sure if the following suggestion would be an acceptable workaround for the OSD vs. Video DB problem. (and not an overnight solution)

Please see the folowing link:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/video_mpg_epg_info_files-t20869.html

Perhaps the plugin could be reworked to draw the OSD from a .txt/xml file?

I think that even better would be the TVServer saving this info in the MySQL database...but that is a long way off.

I am not a programmer, but I see huge value in saving the OSD info to a seperate file that can be called on at any time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom