[solved] Erratic TV (1 Viewer)

Alexh

Portal Member
October 30, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi,
Been using MP1 with a server/client + separate client. OTA tuner cards on server and have now switched to MP2 with same HW setup.
In the MP2 TV setup I see all channels as I expect in the preview, i.e. actual playing channel matches the channel number in MP2 channel list.

However, when I try to play from MP2 client on either the server or client, often the channel is not correct (I select KQED but I actually get KNTV) and I had bizarre behavior where it would play a loop of several seconds over and over. I think that was due to some files in the timebuffer which I deleted. Also eventually TV video completely fails (blank screen).

I installed MP2 24 hours ago and it's still working on something because the busy icon is updating. I don't have that many movies, perhaps 30 but perhaps this is causing the TV difficulty? I'll probably delete most of the movies to see if that speeds up progress.

Also, it seems that there is no MP2 "stay on top" option because I often get the desktop taskbar show up which is really annoying.

Alexh

Portal Member
October 30, 2016
Home Country
I closed another program that was causing high CPU utilization which seems to have helped on the server/client but on the standalone client when I select a program in the guide to watch nothing happens except I see the play icon in the upper left for a few seconds.

Also, I noticed that many of my movies are missing even though they were all present in MP1. In MP1 I used folder is movie name so some of my MkiV's have filenames title00.mkiv but this does not seem to be the issue as some movies with title00.mkiv show up. I searched on this and it appears IMDB is not used anymore?

And there any answer for the taskbar issue?

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    In MP1 I used folder is movie name so some of my MkiV's have filenames title00.mkiv
    You may want to read the WIki: Movie Importer

it seems that there is no MP2 "stay on top" option
    MP2 has three states:
    • Full screen
    • Window
    • Window - always on top
    Alt-Enter toggles through the different states. THe task bar should not be visible if MP2 is running in full-screen mode.

However, when I try to play from MP2 client on either the server or client, often the channel is not correct (I select KQED but I actually get KNTV) and I had bizarre behavior where it would play a loop of several seconds over and over.
    Obviously an incorrect behavior, that is often due to your client not being "fully" connected to the server. I am also ocasionnally seeing such behavior and it is always due to the client's network hardware not working correctly after resuming from standby. A reboot of the client PC should cure such symptoms.

I don't have that many movies, perhaps 30 but perhaps this is causing the TV difficulty? I'll probably delete most of the movies to see if that speeds up progress.
    30 movies should be imported within a few seconds. However, without debug logs I will not ven speculate.

Alexh

Portal Member
    October 30, 2016
    Home Country
    Obviously an incorrect behavior, that is often due to your client not being "fully" connected to the server. I am also ocasionnally seeing such behavior and it is always due to the client's network hardware not working correctly after resuming from standby. A reboot of the client PC should cure such symptoms.

Tried rebooting and removing MP1 from client (MP1 removed from server immediately after install) no luck. On client side it says connected to server but on Server MP2 TV Config- Streaming server it does not show the client. Also, the service monitor has 2 lines "media Portal 2 Client Server" and "Mediaportal 2 Client blank"

My network is pretty basic, Win 7 Home networking no add on firewall etc. and always on, no sleep. When I installed MP2 I got a few Firewall notices and I allowed them. I can browse either computer over the network.

I noticed my Client - Setup - Connectivity - HTTP Server port is set to 0 which agrees with documentation.
    On server side it's IP address auto, port 554.

Alexh

Portal Member
    October 30, 2016
    Home Country
    It's working now and it was a connection issue because I never saw the client connection at the server (I had rebooted many times before reporting this issue).

Only thing I think of was that I still had MP1 installed on my client (changed setting to no autostart when MP2installed) but this time I uninstalled it before rebooting - not sure if that could cause the issue but in any case does not matter.

MP1 crashed about 50% of the time when coming out of sleep on the client but that does not seem to happen with MP2 so far so that's really encouraging.

The only obvious TV issue I see now is that after coming out of sleep on the client I have to wait for about 60 sec until I can watch Tv, until then it just stays in the guide.I don't think it's a network issue because I see the client show up immediately after resume in the MP2 service monitor. Is this behavior expected? I can live with it.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The only obvious TV issue I see now is that after coming out of sleep on the client I have to wait for about 60 sec
    This is due to your client's network hardware and your network itself that need time to reinitialize after resume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom