Error: Media Portal has stopped working (1 Viewer)

frederictre

August 21, 2012
Home Country
Canada Canada
Hi!
First, I want to thanks the MediaPortal community, I like the progress this project have made on the long run :).

I tried to look for a solution and tried a few of them already but I'm now against a wall and just don't know what to do.

I installed Media Portal with no problem at all on my HTPC but when I try to run it for the first time, after it ask what Media Portal Configuration I want to use : Standard mode or Expert mode, I get a windows error saying Media Portal has stopped working. I tried both options for the record but with no succes.
I tried to change the MediaInfo.dll with the newerst version also with no succes either.
I tried running it with full administrator right, in windows xp service pack 2 compatibility mode and nothing worked.

I tried several other things too so some error might be from my unfructuous attempts but I restored everything back to normal now

I run Windows 7 64 bits on service pack 1
My tuner card is a Haupage external usb WinTV HVR 850 with all the corrects and updated drivers + the pack for windows media center
I also have an IR receiver from HP and a IR blaster for it.
I have changed some of the registry key bidding for my MCE remote so it works better with XBMC that I am using right now on that HTPC.

See my logs for more infos.

THANK YOU!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome frederictre :)

I'll cut straight to the chase: I think there are issues with your operating system, specifically in the registry.
    The DirectX diagnostic information included in the log files (thank you for providing them :)) does not seem normal - it doesn't include any of the information about registered codecs that we'd expect to see.
    Please run filmerit and report whether it detects any issues in your system. Filmerit can sometimes fix these problems but I wouldn't necessarily recommend you do that until we know what kinds of problems exist.

Cheers,
    mm

frederictre

August 21, 2012
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi mm and thanks for taking the time to answer me, really appreciated! It's the first time I turn into a forum for troubleshooting, normally learning how to do it myself but this time I just didn't know where to start so it feels good to have people guide me a little bit ;)

After looking at the filmerit log I think too it's registry. Seems to be related to my audio output.
    There is 3 error that show up on filmerit main screen, all being about server files for DirectShow Filters.

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/556254Sanstitre.png

There is a screenshot. I also uploaded the report from filmerit. The report seems to be showing a lot of error tho.
    I have found out a similar thread with a similar problem that you helped with here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ion-crash-during-adding-filter-section.97231/

Thank you again for the helping hand. I would hate to start from scratch since I customised pretty much everything in this mediacenter, from xbmc modding, customised rainmeter skin to make windows useable with my pc remote and a few windows tweaking to help booting time so any help at all is welcome.

EDIT: I do think it might be because I miss a bunch of audio filter and codec. I did strip off a lot of things from windows over time so I might have overdid it for media portal. Since I mainly use this computer for xbmc normally, that would be a hint in the right direction if it can help a little bit.

Attachments

• filmerit 3.0.8.zip
      37.7 KB
    Last edited:

frederictre

August 21, 2012
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I still haven't figured out anything and I'm starting to think to just start back from scratch. Last call! :p

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Codec ruins in the registry is my best bet. MP can't read some stuff properly or gets unexpected values. At least that is my impression from a quick view at the log.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you unlocked the padlock and tried repairing using the big red button.

Just as a reference, my system Win7 32bit has 180 filters, yours seems excessive at 224, besides windows default only have MP + LAV filters installed.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

As Ray suggested, you could try a repair.
    If your OS is "baked" then it may be better to go for a clean install from scratch.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom