Error when playing a film with moving pictures 1.1.5 (1 Viewer)

bullrin

Portal Pro
July 28, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
hi there,

i dont know why but i can't play any films with moving pictures any more.
i have no idea what happened in the last weeks that could cause this.

This error appears when i want to start a film

Any ideas?

Greetz

Attachments

• mp.png
    mp.png
    414.5 KB

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

bullrin

Portal Pro
    July 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    great to see somebody else with this problem :sorry:

so solution is maybe changing to another codec or updating to mepo 1.2. ?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Error when playing a film with moving pictures 1.1.5

Which codec are you using? You can also try to disable DXVA..

EDIT: Error in my link above was with MePo 1.2.0 BETA and CoreAVC 2.5.5. Now I have CoreAVC 3.0.1 and MediaPortal 1.2.0 Final. Didn't test if this error is gone now. I still got DXVA disabled in CoreAVC and therefore no problems.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Haali splitter (for dual-audio track files) + MPC-HC video (has full DXVA support) + ffdshow-tryouts (Audio only with everything else disabled, for DTS-MA/DD-HD support) and MPC-HC or DirectVobSub for subtitles = works like a charm, never a crash. You can also adjust subtitles overlay position to be inside black bars (for a 2.35:1 movie), or inside movie frame.

The only added media support you might need is an XviD beta release for some non-default releases, as MPC-HC is stable but not cutting edge in latest. It is usually also handy to use the MPC-HC standalone FLV and MP4 splitter for OnlineVideos plugin, though you could do a non-default Haali splitter install to cover most of that (some AAC files might still require the MPC-HC splitters).

Any file that still doesn't play due to some rare codec issue can then be fixed seperate via one of the MPC-HC standalone plugins, provided the media file plays fine in the MPC-HC GUI application itself. It has all the filters build in, so by opening config, you can disable all of the internal splitters+codecs and find out which one your media file needs. The easiest way is to disable all the checkboxes on codecs first to find out if its a splitter problem, and if the file still doesn't play to re-enable the codecs like 10 at a time. If it then starts working you disable 5, retest, etc, until you found the single checkbox that works and you can then match that with one of the MPC-HC standalone AX files that you then simply register.

To register the MPC-HC standalone filters, use the following method:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC Standalone Filters\MPCVideoDec.ax"
    (optional for FLV files in OnlineVideos) regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC Standalone Filters\FLVSplitter.ax"
    (optional for some MP4/MV4/AAC/etc files) regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC Standalone Filters\MP4Splitter.ax"
    (optional for DirectVobSub subtitle method) regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\MPC-HC Standalone Filters\VSFilter.dll"

Note: The "(x86)" part is for 64-bit OS users.

If you have trouble with DXVA, which can happen with some media files incorrect headers or when videocard driver has issues, it can help to adjust the MPC-HC codec properties to disable the (ffmpeg) entries inside the "MPC - Video decoder" codec.

You can use MePo advanced config for this -> Videos -> Video Post Processing -> Add "MPC - Video decoder" -> enable checkbox -> Filter properties -> (verify DXVA has a videocard entry) -> "Codecs" tab -> disable the "H.264/AVC (FFmpeg)" and "VC1 (FFmpeg)" checkboxes to make sure DXVA is always used.

I personally prefer to make those settings permanent defauls, so you can use a tool such as DirectShow Filter Manager for this: DirectShow Filter Manager

Result looks something like:

MPC.Video.png

PS: On the 'Settings' tab there are more tweaks you can do, to either increase quality or speed, but default settings should work for the majority of users.

And I know the above is covered by most 'codec packs', such as SAF, but the problem I still encounter with those is that they sometimes add support for 'too' much and still end up causing conflicts or they rely on the wrong filters. Speaking of those, if you are going to use this provided method, make sure you first uninstall anything you might have previously installed and verify that they are 'properly' removed. I unfortunatly encounter many times that codec packs removed via "Add/Remove programs", are not correctly uninstalled and still cause issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom