EventGhost Genius MediaCruiser and X10 (1 Viewer)

Mho

Portal Member
November 4, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
ENGLISH
Hello cause i'm a new member (ex MCE user)
I wrote a short guid to use Genius media cruiser.

Ther are many information around here in the forum and outside in www, but most of theme are outdated or incomplete.

1. Install Message Plugin
Source: link
- put dll in folder plugins\process
- put xml in folder InputDeviceMappings\default

2. get last EventGhost software (at the moment a beta 0.3.6)
source: link
- install last full setup
- install last update

3. configure eventghost
- for use only with media cruiser use this xml: see next post
- for use with media cruiser and X10 (qsonic in my case) use XML: see next post

4. set youre own data in eventghost
- customize the path to mediaportal.exe with double click on "start program" in node "Restart and start"
- maybe you need to delete HID plugins and add them again if eventghost is not working, addall four hids for the keyboard

5. customize mediaportal
- disable all remotes
- enable message plugin

I hope this will help you

Mho

GERMAN
Hallo da ich neu bin hier im Forum möchte ich gleich mal etwas beitragen.

Im Forum und im Netz sind viele Informationn verstreut wie man ein
Genius MediaCruiser Keyboard ( LuxeMate 810 ) zur Steuerung von einem Mediaportal nutzen kann.
Leider sind viele dieser Hinweise veraltet oder unvollständig.

Hier eine möglichst komplette Anleitung:

1. Das MessagePlugin installieren
Quelle : link
- die dll in den Ordner Plugin\Process
- die XML in den Ordner InputDeviceMappings\default

2. Die aktuellste Eventghost Version installieren (momentan eine Beta 0.3.6 ) die das Mediaportal direkt unterstützt
Quelle: link
- Das letzte Vollsetup installieren
- Das letzte Update installieren

3. Eventghost einrichten
- wird nur der Media Cruiser genutzt dann diese XML: nachfolgenden post beachten
- wird der Mediacruiser und eine X10 Fernbedienung ( QSonic in meinem Fall) diese XML: nachfolgenden post beachten

4. Eventghost anpassen
- Auf jeden Fall müsst ihr für den Start Knopf den Pfad anpassen
Dazu Restart and Start in Eventghost aufklappen und mit Doppelclick auf "Starte Anwendung" den Pfad ändern.
- Möglicherweise müsst ihr auch die HID Plugins neu mitaufnehmen falls es nicht so funktioniert,
dazu meine löschen und alle vier gefundenn Genius HIDs als neues Plugin mitaufnehmen

5. Mediaportal anpassen
- Alle Fernbedienungen deaktivieren
- MessagePlugin aktivieren

Auf dieser Grundlage könnt Ihr hoffentlich eure eigenen Anpassungen machen

Tschö
Mho

Mho

Portal Member
November 4, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello
As update only my last post in German forum, now as good as I can in English:

I had several problems with deactivate HID components, too.
It worked but only until next restart.
After that Eventghost seams to forget the HID’s. Only the keyboard was still sending commands, the additional buttons didn’t.

The only workaround was to disconnect the Mediacruiser receiver physically.
After the reconnecting Eventghost recognized the additional HID’s.

To force the system to the same behavior automatically, I’m using the Microsoft program DEVCON.
This program can handle connect and disconnect functions on USB devices.

With the new configuration file Eventghost uses this program automatically after standby (hibernate) mode.

Take a look at your USB Id’s. In my system all relevant USB Ids starts with USB\VID_0BC7.
Eventghost disconnects and reconnects these devices.

You will found this at:
Power and Start - > USB reload -> Starte Anwendung DEVCON

X10 is disabled in this configuration file, cause I’m using the standard remote configuration for X10 parallel. With this continually pressed keys works much better.
But feel free to reactivate X10 in the new configuration file.

View attachment 14302

regards Mho

richiesgr

July 10, 2008
Hi

I've used your configuration file but some button doesn't work like all myvideo mymusic and start button
the event is not even received by evenghost do you have an idea why ?

Thanks

Mho

Portal Member
November 4, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello
Try to reassign the HID devices within EventGohst.
Delete the old entries first.

Mho

richiesgr

July 10, 2008
yes I've made this some key works other not all the right side doesn't work the left side like play, stop, pause, volume work fine. Do you think it's the usb problem ?
thanks

Mho

Portal Member
November 4, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hello
your description fits to the USB device problem.
But usually it should help to delete the old HIDs and create the entries for the four HIDs new.

One of them is always corrupt but that should be no problem.

joehbad

November 6, 2007
Home Country
This is an updating post because the details seemed to be slightly different these days.

The instructions above are still broadly right, but now eventghost seems to only locate 3 HID devices. One of these doesn't work as above, and returns a message like "zero length file not allowed" when you add it. Don't worry about this.

1. Install the message plugin in mediaportal (recently updated for version 1.2.x, thank you to whoever did that). No configuration was required, just install it.
2. Install eventghost
3. start configuring eventghost by removing the default setup, and start a new config.
3. Get all the input and output devices into eventghost by loading the 3 Generic HID plugins, the keyboard plugin, and the mediaportal plugin.
4. Press a button on your keyboard, then drag the event from the left pane to the mediaportal action on the right pane.
5. repeat until all the buttons you want are done.
6. set eventghost to start automatically in the options menu.

I had the same problem as above that all the left side buttons worked easily, but none of the right side buttons would appear as events. Until, I had a hunch and loaded the keyboard plugin. It turns out that the right side buttons are producing sequences of keypresses such as:

rightctrl.leftshift
rightctrl.leftshift.t
rightctrl.t

i.e. there are always 3 seperate events generated from one button press, with each event consisting of multiple keypresses.

Presumably, the normal drivers would watch for these sequences and intercept them accordingly.

So, to get the special keys on the right working, just drag the pretty unique middle event (rightctrl.leftshift.t in example above) to the action in the mediaportal plugin.

Thank you very much to the people that worked this all out originally. It was great to finally get these extra buttons working, not least because it stops them triggering random stuff when they are bumped acidentally!

I also would say that I was amazed by how powerful the Eventghost software is. It's actually really simple to use despite how confusing it looks when you first start it up. I can highly recommend watching a youtube video of someone working through an example before you start, and you will go from wtf to ahhh in a few minutes.

The Homer Simpson description of what is does is that it sits between input devices that you choose and your system, and intercepts input events that you choose and uses them to trigger actions in software that you point at.

Eventghost works so well that I'm going to bring some old remotes out of retirement that I struggled to get working consistently via things like IRSS.

I used Mediaportal 1.2.2, Windows XP Pro SP3, and EventGhost 0.4.1.r1544, and a Genius Luxemate 810 media cruiser.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I also would say that I was amazed by how powerful the Eventghost software is. It's actually really simple to use despite how confusing it looks when you first start it up. I can highly recommend watching a youtube video of someone working through an example before you start, and you will go from wtf to ahhh in a few minutes.

The Homer Simpson description of what is does is that it sits between input devices that you choose and your system, and intercepts input events that you choose and uses them to trigger actions in software that you point at.

+1 - it looks really complicated until you have the 'Eureka' moment and realize it's mostly configured by using drag-n-drop :)

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom