Tools and other software Eventghost, how to adjust Master volume when MP not running? (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've got EG setup to control Mediaportal, which works nicely.

What I now want to do is be able to adjust the Master volume of my PC with the remote when not using MP (or any of the other programs I want to have EG profiles for, like XBMC), so that I can easily adjust the volume when playing games.

The problem is, with two or more profiles enabled they clash, so that if the Mediaportal profile is highest in the list it traps the key press before my Volume profile, so that the autorepeat is trapped by the MP profile and the Master volume command only gets sent once, when I release the key. If I put the Volume profile above the MP one, that works and the MP command only gets sent once when I release the key but obviously that wouldn't work well if MP was running and I wanted to control the volume inside that.

I got an idea from somewhere that somehow I can enable/disable profiles depending on whether the application is running but I can't work out how to do this. This would allow me to disable the MP and XBMC profiles when they're not running and enable the MP profile and disable the Volume profile when Mediaportal is started. I have the Power button on my remote mapped in EG to launch MP, so it's easy enough to launch it (and when running, this is used for something else in MP).

Illuminator

Portal Pro
December 6, 2010
Home Country
Germany Germany
When your MediaPortal (and XBMC profile) are in seperate folders, the comand activate and deactivate can be used.
When starting MePo "starting program" there should be the comand activate MediaPortal (the folder MediaPortal) afterwards. When "Task.deactivated.MediaPortal" then you can deactivate the folder MedaiPortal...
Sorry... my english :-(
Do you understand what I mean? ;-)

Ok, lets see how I've done:
EG_StartMePo.jpg

I use the "green button" to start MePo and in MePo as HomeButton. That's why I decided to "activate exclusive".

I made a folder Start MePo
"MceRemote.Mce.Start" is the event from the green button
"Task.Activated.MediaPortal" I need this event when MePo is autostarting.
"Starte.Anwendung..." should be clear.
"Aktiviere exklusiv..." is to activate the next macro in this folder.
"Aktiviere:MediaPortal" activates the folder MediaPortal.

The next macro "aktiviere exklusiv:...":
"Task.Deactivated..." is the event when you leave MePo
"Deaktiviere:Mediaportal" deactivates the folder "MediPortal"
"Aktiviere exklusiv:..." is for me that I can use the green button to start MePo...

Ok?

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
Thanks, I think I understand and have copied what you've done but it doesn't seem to work for me. If I enable the first part and press the power button, it switches the Mediaportal profile from disabled to enabled and disables the first part of the Start MePo profile but then when I close MP the profiles don't switch/deactivate in EG.

I created the Task.Activated and Task.Deactivated events manually by Add Event and then pasting those into the box as I couldn't find them anywhere else, so I presume that was right?

EG Deactivate MP.png

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You will need the plugin "task create/switch events" added so eg can monitor mp being closed.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmmm, I use the german version...
    Maybe this is the problem "I created the Task.Activated and Task.Deactivated events manually..."

Stop MePo when EG is opened. Then go back to EG. In the Log there should be an event like Task.Deactivated.MediaPortal. Drag and drop this event from the log to the configuration... Is there such an event?

Ah Luca, of course...
    @ doveman: Have you installed EventGhostPlus in MePo?

Last edited:

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks Luca, that's helped.

@Illuminator, it seems in the English version it is Task.Destroyed.MediaPortal when MP is closed. There is a Task.Deactivated.EventGhost when I click on something other than MP but I only want the remote to behave differently when MP is closed, not when it loses focus.

When I start it it still didn't create a Task.Activated.MediaPortal event in the log but if I click on the MP window after it's finished loading it does, although my manually created Event for that seems fine as it already has that name.

It seems to be switching properly now when I start/close MP, so thanks. I'm not using EventGhostPlus in MP, just MessagePlugin but it seems to be OK.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just took another look at your screen doveman and it came to my mind that my config looked very similar to yours in the beginning.
    You might consider building a deeper hierarchy in your structure when you use Activate Exclusive so you can control exactly what will happen and don't lose overview...

This is an example....

screen_mmigstation_2013-01-01_ 008.png

The function you are looking for can be achieved with another method which comes in handy sometimes:
    Imagine your volume folder is in the system folder in my example above. System is always activated as I store critical and default macros there which do not depend on any application profiles. I don't operate with Activate Exclusive in the top layer of my structure because I want to be sure that this part is always functional.
    So your volume+ event will always trigger some action in System. Now, you don't want that as long your mp folder is activated. If your mp folder is above System you can tell eg to catch the event only for the first hit in the structure and don't trigger the action below.
    You do that with the eventghost action "Stop processing this event".

screen_mmigstation_2013-01-01_ 010.png

This is very useful in many situations.

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I start it it still didn't create a Task.Activated.MediaPortal event in the log but if I click on the MP window after it's finished loading it does

I think this is intended behaviour. Don't know why there is no Task.Created.MediaPortal event though.
    If you want to catch the start of mp regardless of mp being the active application you will have to go for the process plugin and catch
    Process.Created.MediaPortal

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    When I start it it still didn't create a Task.Activated.MediaPortal event in the log but if I click on the MP window after it's finished loading it does

I think this is intended behaviour. Don't know why there is no Task.Created.MediaPortal event though.
    If you want to catch the start of mp regardless of mp being the active application you will have to go for the process plugin and catch
    Process.Created.MediaPortal

Thanks. It wouldn't actually matter if I always started MP with my remote's power button, as that will cause it to switch profiles without any Task. or Process. event. However if I start it with a desktop shortcut, as I do quite often, then the profiles won't get switched so I'll need to use the process plugin to detect when it's started.

Thanks for your previous post, I'll have a proper read of it t when I'm not so tired and can take it in better ;)

Zuzler

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I did mine directly inside the pre-created MediaPortal folder:
    eventghost_volume.png

Quite simple. Press the button once, drag n drop it in there. Then add a "Master Volume" event and select your speakers. The OSD is something I made to see what's going on. It displays the current percentage of the volume like this:

Volume 24%

or "Mute on", "Mute off", which is just a mute switch.

And of course I disabled the MediaPortal Volume actions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom