Everything is slowing down (1 Viewer)

Freethefire

Portal Member
May 18, 2006
Hey,

So, since a couple of weeks at least, MP is becoming slower and slower. Takes quite a long time to start and navigation isn't fun anymore.
I'm leaning towards one of my file drives being on the fritz, but I wanted an opinion on the logs before I go down that path.
Anyone have any ideas?

Best regards
Alex

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi @Freethefire ,

Seeing no obvious issues in the logs that could cause the slow down, couple of things to try / check:

- Use HDtune check the smart status of drives, while not always useful can show media / read errors
    - If raid setup check using their software (Intel rapid / or other) for degraded set, sometimes another non-related drive (spare / bulk) can cause Windows as a whole to have bad performance.
    - Update motherboard / display drivers , if AMD GPU be careful with updates as some are buggy lately
    - Since it's slow in UI as well don't expect codec issue but can never hurt to check for LAV filter updates
    - Start MediaPortal Extension Manager and make sure everything is up2date
    - Lastly check system temperatures using Speedfan

Last edited:

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    And with speedfan the temperatures and voltages are normal or is anything spiking?
    Can also run the Sisoft endurance / burn in test and see if it acts up there as well:

http://www.sisoftware.net/

Freethefire

Portal Member
    May 18, 2006
    Everything is normal, no spikes in voltage and good temps across the board. All smart attributes fine.
    Will go for a short burn in test tthis evening though. Don't think anything will show up, but better safe than sorry ;)

Rick164

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Also worth a check is to see if the memory or cpu usage of the Mediaportal process increases over time as it could also be an extension causing it :) , process lasso has some more logging options but otherwise task manager will do just fine.

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In addition to Rick's suggestions:
    :
    Try:

1) Change skin to Default Wide - just in case issue with Apollo on your set up.
    2) Disable all plugins, if performance issues remain it's system problem.otherwise:
    3) Enable plugin's one at a time until issue resurfaces.

At whatever point you have problems, it could be memory free space vs paging and where you page too [I had this with Photoshop - slow drive vs SD].

Check with perfmon that your system is not paging to disk excessively and if you suspect a drive, check it's not paging to that drive.

Good luck and good hunting.

Cheers - J.

Freethefire

Portal Member
    May 18, 2006
    Thanks guys!

Burn in test no problems. As far as I can see, no problems with paging or memory utilization either.

Ah well, I'll continue to try and solve it.

Thanks again for your assistance :)

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All I can say is bugger - and sorry suggestions have not panned out.

Cheers - JCMP.

Freethefire

Portal Member
    May 18, 2006
    Small update!
    Seems that somehow my htpc was set to 23hz(somehow, kids perhaps?). Anyway, after setting it to 60hz again things have sped up somewhat. Not perfect, but tolerable at least ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom