Excessive Memory footprint? (1 Viewer)

BarrieSmith

Portal Member
October 9, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
When I start using MY TV in MP the memory used by MP raises to over 350MBytes. My PC has 1GByte installed and when this happens it starts to page to the hard disk. as a result MP cralws and stutters. Apart from addinfg any extra memory is it correct for MP to use 350MByte?

BarrieSmith

Portal Member
October 9, 2007
Home Country
Hi! Yes I trid the priority thing but I'm wondering about the amount of memory used. Any ideas?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Try setting MP priority to "above normal"

Please do not recommend such stupidy. This is merely a workaround for some faulty tvcard drivers. NO Application neither on Windows nor any other OS should judge about its priority and messing up with the OS's scheduler. It's almost sure that you'll suffer from serveral side effects...

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    When I start using MY TV in MP the memory used by MP raises to over 350MBytes.

Considering it's a .NET app and most modern systems are designed to use the optimum of memory available (take MS SQL Server as a very good example) 350 MB are not that much. More important is the long term usage and whether memory / handles increase constantly in 24/7 usage.

Initially graphs are build, thumbs may be cached, serveral .NET assemblies are loaded, etc. However if you realize that simply using e.g. the MyMusic plugin will:
    - use 120 MB - 150 MB on day 2
    - use 150 MB - 180 MB on day 3
    - etc...
    and memory usage does NOT decrease some time after stopping playback and going back to main menu then please tell us your findings.

BarrieSmith

Portal Member
    October 9, 2007
    Home Country
    rtv,
    Many thanks - Now I understand. I'm using a desktop PC to develop a Settop box based aounr MP. now I can see that the spec for my box will require 2GB of RAM to prevent excessive thrashing of the hard disk. Thanks for your very quick and informative reply.

:D

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Thanks for your kind words, rtv.

I remember reading this being a solution to what I thought was a simular problem, but I should have searched it up before answering. I'll be sure to leave the answering to the experts.

Doing a quick forum search shows that this is a workaround for jitter, tearing, stutter and sync-issues.

MP Wiki said:
    MP Priority - Default: Normal

Sets the priority of MediaPortal, higher gives MediaPortal more systems resources, too high can make the system unstable or crash if MediaPortal crashes.

Edit: NP, rtv ;)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for your kind words, rtv.

Just in case I found some irony - please don't take it personally - the "stupidy" might have been easy to misunderstand. It was targeted to "increasing the priority" not you giving the hint ;)

blackheart42

Portal Pro
    October 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    rtv,
    Many thanks - Now I understand. I'm using a desktop PC to develop a Settop box based aounr MP. now I can see that the spec for my box will require 2GB of RAM to prevent excessive thrashing of the hard disk. Thanks for your very quick and informative reply.

:D

Hi Barry,

Don't be so quick to throw memory at the problem. I have only 512M of RAM in my system and even with 2 tuners recording while I'm watching a pre-recorded show, MP uses less than 250MB without any problems. As rtv said, your memory usage might be normal, but there appears to be a separate issue that's causing the stuttering.

Blackheart

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom