[Rejected] exclude file extentions from database (1 Viewer)

dmacleo

Portal Member
October 25, 2011
this actually applies to both versions really.
the database stores the .ts extension in table, I use mcebuddy to monitor recording folder and convert all *.ts to mp4 files (saves ton of space and allows plex to stream to roku easier) which causes issues with database.
I have to either run a query to rename .ts to .mp4 or just delete all files in database table (much easier) and browse to file to watch it on clients.
if the filename didn't specify .ts in database (eg stored as Friends S01E01 Episode Title.* ) this would not be an issue.
not sure if this is possible but thought I would check.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have to either run a query to rename .ts to .mp4 or just delete all files in database table (much easier)
    About what database you are talking about exactly?
    The reason is, that inside MP2 there are 2 databases:
    • the main "Media Library" of MP2-Server and
    • the known "TvDatabase" of the TV Engine.
    The order of recording processing in MP2 is:
    1. TV Engine starts a recording, writes to its own recording table
    2. A "recording started" notification is sent, MP2 listens on this
    3. MP2 imports the running recording into Media Library
    4. At end of recording, "recording end" notification is sent, MP2 refreshes the imported file.
    Now I could imagine, that your MCEbuddy runs and converts the file.

At this time the MP2 Media Libary is no longer correct, because the file name has been changed. The converted file would be "re-imported" either when a new recording starts (we always import new/changed files of the full recording folder), or the nightly import schedule runs (at 2:00).

dmacleo

Portal Member
    October 25, 2011
    still dealing with MP1 mostly (so thats where I still have real issues ) and only testing MP2.
    On MP1 AND MP2 its mostly an issue (for me) in tvserver settings-database import-remove invalid entries.
    for every ts file converted to mp4 you have to click ok for each file, that can take forever after a few weeks. so I use mysql tool (I forget name of one I use right now) to just remove all pointers to .ts since I have no .ts files. have no make sure no recordings in progress when doing this though.

where I watch the actual recorded programs using (usually) a different product (usually wdtv hubs) I have no idea how the video library itself acts in this way but I can see how it would have issues if its database said filename.ts and I had filename.mp4

so instead of depending on an import to happen can the system be made to either ignore or (possibly better) just .* wildcard the extension in table at recording end notification?
    IOW make database look for filename only? or perhaps make this an easily configurable option on tvserver settings so those who leave as .ts don't have to do anything or worry about anything?
    and this would apply to next MP1 release too please.
    that make sense?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    On MP1 AND MP2 its mostly an issue (for me) in tvserver settings-database import-remove invalid entries. For every ts file converted to mp4 you have to click ok for each file, that can take forever after a few weeks.
    I used to do that too (I move my TS files to other disks). Then I discovered the "Clean-up" action in MP.

In MP1, navigate to the "Recordings" panel, and then display the menu (left side of screen). Select the "Clean-up" action, and on the confirmatory screen select "Yes". You then get a selection menu where you can decide what action to perform. Select "Delete invalid recordings" and the recordings that no longer exist will be deleted from the database (all at once, not one at a time!).

I have no experience of MP2, so I don't know whether it has a similar capability.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As described above, the MP2 Media Library does regular scheduled imports and by this it removes no longer existing files and adds new ones.

The TVE recordings table is not used inside MP2 system, so you don't need to care about it (unless other non-MP2 components depend on it)

dmacleo

Portal Member
    October 25, 2011
    does the cleanup (as described above, thanks for that tip also) trigger a re-import of files in the recording directories as the (in MP2) scheduled task or record end does?
    if so that would accomplish everything needed and make the mp4 files visible in recordings section.

Last edited:

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    On MP1 AND MP2 its mostly an issue (for me) in tvserver settings-database import-remove invalid entries.
    for every ts file converted to mp4 you have to click ok for each file, that can take forever after a few weeks.
    MP2 has never asked me this.
    Either the file/s are registered under the Selection requested OR it shows up under Videos because there was no direct find under TVDB.

Also, part of me wishes I Would get a request to respond to figure out where the import belongs

Last edited:

dmacleo

Portal Member
    October 25, 2011
    MP2 did it to me just now with 2 test recordings done today and then converted.
    however there was not any recording done after those 2 which may skew my results.
    I'll try to test this more tomorrow, do some recordings, convert, then do a few more and not convert to see.

desired end result is I would like to use just the MP gui for all recorded items from the tv section and not have to use file browser to access the share its on. currently the conversions and auto delete of ts files (mcebuddy will delete org file after conversion) mean I have to then go to video section and browse the recording share

also if it matters I am using the MP2 version listed as d/l on site main page, not sure if rest are pulling nightly builds if that matters.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    gui for all recorded items
    There are only a very few container out there that can be used for DVB- recordings (mainly .ts and .wtv) but mp4 definitely is not. After you've converted the videos they are no longer "valid" recordings at all. Aside this, MCE-Buddy deletes all related metadata from the recordings during transcoding. The information about recording time, channel, description and so on are lost this way.

So you don't have any benefit from using the "Recordings" section for mp4 files. The "Recordings" section is meant for "short time usage". This is like: record something, watch it and delete it.
    You can use recordings as source for movies/series to store (like I do very often). But then they are kept in the Movies/Series section much, much better. Let MP2 scan online for metadata on TMDB and/or TVDB so you will get a nice view with description, posters and so on. This is for "long time usage", means for "keeping" the videos.

The Series section then could look like this: (sorry for German metadata)
    zwischenablage-4-jpg.171567

And the Movies section like that:
    zwischenablage-2-jpg.173114

Just an example from my own theme, there are lots and lots of possibilities to have your media presented nicely...

dmacleo

Portal Member
    October 25, 2011
    I didn't consider the MP metadata, used to using the wdtv units which d/l their own
    mcebuddy itself can also w/l show info but I don't use that function much.
    even still unless it somehow used exact same xml structure it would just add un-needed files to directory.

shoot guess I'll keep just using the wd units (got plenty of them so no issue there lol) to view the media itself

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom