Exclusive DX Problem (1 Viewer)

esoteradactyl

Portal Member
January 4, 2006
Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.0.0 RC2 (2005-12-16)
MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
Video Codec: NVIDIA Video Decoder
CPU Type: AMD Opteron 146 - 2GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: A8N-SLI Premium (ASUSTeK Computer INC.)
Video Card Model: 6600GT
Video Card Resolution: 1920x1080
Video Render Type: VMR9
Audio Card Model: Realtek AC'97 Audio

im experiencing a quick video flash when launching a video using exclusive dx mode. this quick flash also happens when i stop the video and it returns back to the menu. the flash is similar to when your video cards switches resolutions. anybody else experience this?

bigj

Portal Pro
January 10, 2005
Yes - I was seeing this - I reverted to non-exclusive for this reason, plus I was seeing some other strange frame rate issues...
As I'm connected to a PAL TV it was really ugly.

It might be that DX9 exclusive absolutely requires a mode change - even if the requested mode is the same resolution as the desktop.
Eg. double buffering may require new video memory allocation and associated crash sync. If the resolution isn't changed AND only single/copy flip buffering is requested then I'd hope a smart driver/d3d runtime could cope without doing any further allocation/mode change - or perhaps the GDI just reserves the desktop so there is no choice.

BigJ.

esoteradactyl

Portal Member
January 4, 2006
yes, when eclusive mode is off, everything works perfectly. however without exclusive on i get bad tearing which isnt acceptable. hopefully this problem can be addressed soon. i havent tried to duplicate this problem using a dvi cable. maybe thats some i should try. back when i used mce and theatertek, there was always a flicker like this when closing tt. it wasnt there with dvi but was with rgb...

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I use a DVI cable and with exclusive mode off there is very bad tearing. Looks like Zorro has been at the tv set.

I don't have any of the other problems though. DX exclusive on works fine for me.

esoteradactyl

Portal Member
    January 4, 2006
    well i figured out what the problem is. its a combination of two things. vmr9 with rgb output. rgb out gives me the flash everytime. if i switch to overlay the flash does not occur.

when using a dvi cable, the flash never occurs when using overlay or vmr9. kind of a bummer since i have my tivo using the dvi port. guess my only option is to buy a dvi siwtcher or use another frontend... most seem to run 200-250.. ouch

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom