Exit bug/crash in MP and MP Configuration tool (1 Viewer)

pvanderp

Portal Member
November 27, 2011
Gouda
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Applies to:
- Windows 7 and 8.1
- MediaPortal 1.9 and 1.9.1

This problem has previously been reported in this thread:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...tion-crash-when-closing-stays-running.127862/
It has been marked as [Fixed] but it has not been solved at all.

I experienced the problem with version 1.9.0 and 1.9.1 (a.k.a. "1.10 preview"). After closing MP or the MP Configuration tool, the program window closes, but the process stays active and after 10 seconds or so, it starts to hog the core it is running on to 100% CPU usage.
The MP error log shows no errors, but the Event Log does:

Faulting application name: MediaPortal.exe, version: 1.9.100.0, time stamp: 0x545debcc
Faulting module name: bass_vis.dll, version: 2.4.4.1, time stamp: 0x5374e4c2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000053e6
Faulting process id: 0xb58
Faulting application start time: 0x01d01c4f63884542
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\bass_vis.dll

It is the same Application Error as in the other thread.

I analysed the exit process with Process Explorer. The log is too big to include here, but it shows that at some point, WerFault.exe is launched to process an unhandled error. WerFault.exe is apparently stranded while collecting information about the misbehaving process. The Process Monitor log shows at some point that the MediaPortal process is performing QueryNameInformationFile calls in a tight loop, which causes the 100% CPU usage. At that point, the only resolution is to kill the MediaPortal.exe or Configuration.exe process using the Task Manager.

The root cause of this problem seems to relate to either a bug in the bass_vis.dll, or bad use of this DLL by the MediaPortal and Configuration applications. I will attempt to replace this DLL with previous versions just as a workaround, but this problem should be taken seriously. I suppose many people are not even aware of this problem, because no "Application Crash" dialog appears.

regards,
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom