Experimental TsReader development (3 Viewers)

Viper 7

March 11, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi Guys,

The new TSReader has also fixed my problem with PRIME and ChoiceTV (live in NZ) which I've had for a while now. Anyone having problems should
definitely give it a try. Thanks Owlsroost for all your help in getting this issue resolved!

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Can the maximum buffer for TSReader (set via the registry) be increased to 5 s please? I cannot stream HD content over a VPN even though I have 20 Mbps upload and HD channels are rarely higher than 10 Mbps, and I think it might be due to latency issues. Setting a higher buffer might help with this and I'd like to test it.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Can the maximum buffer for TSReader (set via the registry) be increased to 5 s please? I cannot stream HD content over a VPN even though I have 20 Mbps upload and HD channels are rarely higher than 10 Mbps, and I think it might be due to latency issues. Setting a higher buffer might help with this and I'd like to test it.

The short answer is probably 'yes', but I'd like to see the TsReader log first.

Teeo

Portal Member
    September 28, 2009
    Helsingborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

What kind of VPN tunnel are you using?
    Using OpenVPN over udp protocol did not work for me. Then I changed the protocol to tcp I had no problems watching HD channels.

Teeo

Portal Member
    September 28, 2009
    Helsingborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Using OpenVPN over udp protocol did not work for me. Then I changed the protocol to tcp I had no problems watching HD channels.

The opposit is what I would have expected here.

Yes, I was surprised to the result to. I am no OpenVPN expert but decryption of the udp datastream is the fist error source. If packets do not arrive decryption of stream will fail and "larger" chunks of data is lost, thus affecting image. Using OpenVPN with a tcp connection will actually cause the rtsp udp datastream indirectly to be tcp because of nature of the vpn tunnel.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
    August 30, 2011
    Home Country
    The short answer is probably 'yes', but I'd like to see the TsReader log first.
    Not at work today but I'll grab the logs next time I try.

I'm using an L2TP VPN which is built into Windows, I'm not sure whether that uses TCP or UDP. I spent a few hours trying to set up OpenVPN a while back and couldn't get it to work (and I'm a very experienced user). The official guides were out of date and not detailed enough, and even once I finally got all the certificates sorted and all necessary ports open and checked, it wouldn't even connect, let alone authenticate.

Teeo

Portal Member
    September 28, 2009
    Helsingborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm using an L2TP VPN which is built into Windows, I'm not sure whether that uses TCP or UDP. I spent a few hours trying to set up OpenVPN a while back and couldn't get it to work (and I'm a very experienced user). The official guides were out of date and not detailed enough, and even once I finally got all the certificates sorted and all necessary ports open and checked, it wouldn't even connect, let alone authenticate.

L2TP uses udp.
    I recall that setting up OpenVPN was hard :(

grubi

Portal Pro
    June 16, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

L2TP uses udp.
    I recall that setting up OpenVPN was hard :(

Come on that's not really hard.
    Just built a new box for one of our customers last week.
    Did you try on linux or windows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom