Experimental TsReader development (2 Viewers)

Teeo

Portal Member
September 28, 2009
Helsingborg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I'm using an L2TP VPN which is built into Windows, I'm not sure whether that uses TCP or UDP. I spent a few hours trying to set up OpenVPN a while back and couldn't get it to work (and I'm a very experienced user). The official guides were out of date and not detailed enough, and even once I finally got all the certificates sorted and all necessary ports open and checked, it wouldn't even connect, let alone authenticate.

L2TP uses udp.
I recall that setting up OpenVPN was hard :(

Come on that's not really hard.
Just built a new box for one of our customers last week.
Did you try on linux or windows?

At first I ran the OpenVPN server in my asus router. This was easy to set up. Because of the heavy encryption of the datastream the router cpu was overloaded. Because of that I installed OpenVPN server on a windows machine. It did not work. Had some kind of routing issues. Ended up with lowering the encryption and kept OpenVPN server in my router. Client setup was not hard

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Come on that's not really hard.
Just built a new box for one of our customers last week.
Did you try on linux or windows?
How would I be using MediaPortal on Linux?

Sorry I thougth you were talking about the server side of OpenVPN and not the client side.
Both. Most guides actually just go through the client side and when it comes to configuration just say "get the config details from your chosen VPN provider and put them here", which is useless for those who are trying to set up their own OpenVPN server. As I said before, there is an official guide but it's out of date and didn't work for me.

grubi

Portal Pro
June 16, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
How would I be using MediaPortal on Linux?

Sorry I thougth you were talking about the server side of OpenVPN and not the client side.
Both. Most guides actually just go through the client side and when it comes to configuration just say "get the config details from your chosen VPN provider and put them here", which is useless for those who are trying to set up their own OpenVPN server. As I said before, there is an official guide but it's out of date and didn't work for me.

Ok out of scope and didn't want to hijack that thread. Setup of server and client is not that hard. Installing on Windows is a simple happy click action and most important thing for configuration is that you got the certificate thing sorted. For details I would always use the OpenVPN manpage which ist still current for 2.3 https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Openvpn23ManPage
If you get stuck and have a specific question send me a PM.

Cheers.

DragonQ

Portal Pro
August 30, 2011
Home Country
Here's some logs. I opened MP and watched BBC One HD. It was fine for ~15 seconds then started stuttering and the picture then froze for another ~15 seconds. Then it started playing again but not very well.

All of this suggests a bandwidth issue, but my server's upload usage never went above ~12 Mbps despite the maximum being 19-20 Mbps. BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds is set to 2000 ms.

Attachments

• MediaPortal HDTV via VPN.7z
    22.2 KB

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Here's some logs. I opened MP and watched BBC One HD. It was fine for ~15 seconds then started stuttering and the picture then froze for another ~15 seconds. Then it started playing again but not very well.

All of this suggests a bandwidth issue, but my server's upload usage never went above ~12 Mbps despite the maximum being 19-20 Mbps. BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds is set to 2000 ms.

Attached is a TsReader version with which allows 'BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds' up to 10s.

Attachments

• TsReader_Experimental_for_DragonQ_v79_3.zip
      175.4 KB

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Thanks I'll give it a try tomorrow. No idea if it'll work but we'll see.

I suspect you have bandwidth or 'lumpy data stream' (instead of a nice smooth stream) problems, but it's worth a try.

azat81

Portal Member
    September 4, 2009
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

Attached is a TsReader version with which allows 'BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds' up to 10s.
    Установил этот TsReader и всё хорошо, на HD каналах ни одного заикания, всё отлично. Very good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom