External Capture Cards (1 Viewer)

poggin

Portal Member
June 1, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I apologize if this information is out there but I cannot find anything that is not nearing 3 years old.

I've been using Mediaportal for six or so years now and have known about the Colossus 2 and HD PVR 2 not being supported years ago. I've been using MP1 with a Colossus 1 all of these years with a Dish Network receiver. Things have been working as well as expected but I really wanted to downsize and go to a mini-itx build. So without doing proper research, assumed that MP2, by now, would support the HD PVR 2. But it doesn't seem so.

It is really true after all of this time that Colossus 2 and HD PVR 2 are still not supported? Is there no way of running an external capture hard with HDMI support? I know about the slimtv plugin, that hasn't been updated in over two years. I actually tried that on MP2 but kept getting a "TV Server not found, enter computer name" that I couldn't get past.

What I really want is to use a mini-itx HTPC with some sort of external capture card so I can control my Dish Network receiver, like I've been doing for so long. I'm hoping I'm horrible at searching the forums but I cannot find much on the matter.

Thanks in advance and even more thanks for MP in general!

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I apologize if this information is out there but I cannot find anything that is not nearing 3 years old.

I've been using Mediaportal for six or so years now and have known about the Colossus 2 and HD PVR 2 not being supported years ago. I've been using MP1 with a Colossus 1 all of these years with a Dish Network receiver. Things have been working as well as expected but I really wanted to downsize and go to a mini-itx build. So without doing proper research, assumed that MP2, by now, would support the HD PVR 2. But it doesn't seem so.

It is really true after all of this time that Colossus 2 and HD PVR 2 are still not supported? Is there no way of running an external capture hard with HDMI support? I know about the slimtv plugin, that hasn't been updated in over two years. I actually tried that on MP2 but kept getting a "TV Server not found, enter computer name" that I couldn't get past.

What I really want is to use a mini-itx HTPC with some sort of external capture card so I can control my Dish Network receiver, like I've been doing for so long. I'm hoping I'm horrible at searching the forums but I cannot find much on the matter.

Thanks in advance and even more thanks for MP in general!
    It doesn’t help with your problem, but MP1 and MP2 are using the same TV engine and accordingly support the same TV tuner. Your problem could be related to firewall or similar. Please check the wiki regarding bug reports. We need your log files to help.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I know about the slimtv plugin, that hasn't been updated in over two years.
    There's no need for any manually added SlimTV plugin. Instead TV is installed automatically when running the MP2 setup.

I actually tried that on MP2 but kept getting a "TV Server not found, enter computer name" that I couldn't get past.
    This error message is linked to a MP1 client. You are either trying to use a MP1 client to access a MP2 server, which is not possible, or maybe installed MP2 in parallel to MP1 without stopping the MP1 TVServer service first.

It is really true after all of this time that Colossus 2 and HD PVR 2 are still not supported?
    If the support still requires the patch to work under MP1, then regrettably it won't work under MP2. If the card works without the patch it will also work in MP2.

poggin

Portal Member
    June 1, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    It doesn’t help with your problem, but MP1 and MP2 are using the same TV engine and accordingly support the same TV tuner. Your problem could be related to firewall or similar. Please check the wiki regarding bug reports. We need your log files to help.

Yeah, I should have done the proper research instead of assuming now that MP2 is so far in development that it would have support for the "next gen" of cards supported by MP1. From what I gather, it is completely moot as getting the HD PVR 2 up and going on MP2 seems to be not possible.

There's no need for any manually added SlimTV plugin. Instead TV is installed automatically when running the MP2 setup.

I thought I had read that the 3.5 version could possibly help with the HD PVR 2 situation and I thought it was worth a shot. There were instructions for removing the version 3 engine and replacing it with version 3.5. Swinging for the fences!

This error message is linked to a MP1 client. You are either trying to use a MP1 client to access a MP2 server, which is not possible, or maybe installed MP2 in parallel to MP1 without stopping the MP1 TVServer service first.

This was a fresh install with only MP2 ever having been installed on the PC. I followed the instructions of shutting down the server, removing the v3 engine and adding in the 3.5. I started the server back up, ran the v3.5 tvsetup.exe and is where I got the error. It is all moot and I was likely chasing something that had no chance of working anyhow since that was the only bit of information that even alluded to possible compatibility fix in MP2.

If the support still requires the patch to work under MP1, then regrettably it won't work under MP2. If the card works without the patch it will also work in MP2.

Yeah, again, my fault for assuming that MP2 would have supported these cards by now. Thankfully I have found out that, for all of these stick/NUC/mini-itx builds that you can use an external PCI-E Thunderbolt enclosure... if you can find one of those with a Thunderbolt connector. This still allows for a drastic downsizing of the HTPC but not only do you still have to by the Colossus, in my case, but another $200+ for the enclosure, etc.

I appreciate the replies! the MP community has always been the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom