External Drive Support (1 Viewer)

NewUser

Portal Pro
January 8, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Is it possible to do this with media portal? Say I got some photos/movies on an external HDD. I fireup the HTPC, plug in external drive.

MP detects a new drive is inserted and under "My videos" The drive name would be added. I can then browse thru folders on the external drive. When finished I then can press the info button on the drive name and safely remove.

Is it possible?

PIKL_HTPC

Portal Member
June 14, 2008
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
I have a 500GB Seagate external HDD and no problems with MP. I store all my videos,movies (HD and SD), pictures on it and its ok. But if you can use eSATA as USB can be kinda slow loading. Streaming HD movies from the external HDD is no problem at all.

NewUser

Portal Pro
January 8, 2008
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I don't have problems with playing media from an external drive. Its the detecting part. I would need to manually add in E drive (drive letter associated to external drive) in my configurations for the external drive to show up in my videos. If i remove the drive, E drive is still shown in the video list. If i accidentally click on it while the external drive is removed. MP just crashes.

PIKL_HTPC

Portal Member
June 14, 2008
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
Just checked my settings. If i load a video from the external HDD the list is opened. I unplug the external HDD and the list gose away and nothing is displayed in the list. Just shows my DVD drive. Plugging the external HDD in again MP takes a little bit to load it but it loads fine. Just have to exit out of the list and back into MyVideos.

What version are you using?

zilla31

January 13, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Guys so help me out here.... my internal HD is almost all full and i need to add a new external one (USB2.0 i guess? or should i be looking at SATA?). Will i have any problem streaming media from this new ext HD using mediaportal? i'm nervous i will have skips or other performance problems (that i DO NOT have currently playing movies form my local HD).

clanmackenzi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2008
    Paris, France
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    I use a NAS drive on a 1GB network with one HTPC and 4 clients. It works seamlessly and is available to all the clients around the house. Recording and timeshifting is done locally on my main HTPC but all movies, Music, TV series etc are stored onto the network drive. This keeps my HTPCs lightly loaded and allows content to be available to all clients even when the main HTPC is powered down. No reason why recorded TV couldn't go straight on here either but as I have 1TB locally I don't bother.

Check out the Buffalo linkstation Pro Duo - also provides RAID for backup security, great place for your MP database and Thumbs backup.

fanoI

Portal Pro
    December 26, 2006
    Well the idea of NewUser is no so bad... is like when you insert a CD/DVD... an external HDD and more important a USB drive in the future as the natural substitute of them... so MP must "autorun" them :D
    It helps the userfriendness (is this real a word?) of Mediaportal a lot :D

It's a pity that it seems MP 1.0 is feature freeze, I think... all the new things go on MP 2... I fear
    it is too long to wait :oops:

fanoI

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom