External music storage (1 Viewer)

fvunen

April 25, 2007
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hi, I think I've read most of the topics related to the combination of MediaPortal and external NAS but can't find a solution for my problem.
I'm using a Buffalo Terastation NAS on my home network loaded with some 10.000 MP3 music files and JPG pictures. This arrangement has been working flawless with a variety of PCs and audiobridges for years.
On my dedicated HTPC, running mediaportal set-up will discover all these tracks and pictures and properly load the database. Starting MediaPortal will also work fine, you can play music and display pictures on the TV. However, after an on/off or suspend / hibernate cycle none of the music wants to play. The database is still there with all files listed but selecting a track will do nothing. (same with pics, just can't see them)
As a work-around, rescanning the database restores things to working order but is soooo time consuming its just not acceptable.
Another workaround is to start windows explorer, find the NAS share, select a random track which will start immediately in e.g. Windows MediaPlayer. Shutting WinMP down and returning to MediaPortal will now also play songs.
What have I missed??
Thanks,
Nan

savaino

Portal Member
November 13, 2006
I have the same problem and I cannot use the "\\IP address..." trick since I have a USB disk box connected via a linksys router USB storage port, so the dis does not have an explicit IP address. What is strange is that I only have the problem occasionally and I guees it happens after the media center PC is off for a while and the IP leasing period expires. I'll try to extend the Ip address leasing period to see if it works. Any suggestion is welcome.
--sav

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom