External player in MP2 and see videos made with my cam? (1 Viewer)

skyly06

March 1, 2021
Home Country
France France
Hi,
Two questions about MP2 V2.3:
- Is it possible to set an external video player for movies? in MP1, it was possible but I do not see the option in MP2.
I would like to set VLC instead of internal player because UHD movies are not played correctly but with VLC, there is no issue.

- It it possible to include the movies created with my camera (.mts or .mov) for Pictures? In MP1, there was a toggle to add them but I can't see how to do that on MP2

Many Thank's for your help

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,

MP2 is not based on MP1, so several things are handled differently.
    Is it possible to set an external video player for movies?
    No, that is not possible.

It it possible to include the movies created with my camera (.mts or .mov) for Pictures? In MP1, there was a toggle to add them but I can't see how to do that on MP2
    The pictures library is only intended for images. There is a video section apart from movies and series, that is used for non-categorized video files.

skyly06

March 1, 2021
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    The fact that using an external player is not possible would be acceptable if the player was able to show the 4K videos fluently. This is not the case!
    I get 1fps using the internal player and normal rendering using VLC. Why this difference? It seems that the internal player does not use the hardware decoding (NVIDIA GT 1030)

For the second request, it is very strange to separate pictures from videos made with a cam. In the real life, we take photos and make associated videos and would like to see them together as we could do in WMC. Why this separation against nature?

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The fact that using an external player is not possible would be acceptable if the player was able to show the 4K videos fluently. This is not the case!
    I get 1fps using the internal player and normal rendering using VLC. Why this difference? It seems that the internal player does not use the hardware decoding (NVIDIA GT 1030)
    I can not tell, why you have 1 fps, because I do not know your settings and overall system configuration. I use 4K with MP2 without any issue and by hardware is 6 years old. I can also not remember any complaints from other users about it

For the second request, it is very strange to separate pictures from videos made with a cam. In the real life, we take photos and make associated videos and would like to see them together as we could do in WMC. Why this separation against nature?
    I don't think it's strange, besides WMC it's common to keep libraries seperated (E.g. Kodi, Plex) ... I never used MP1. The MP2 architekture is build up in a way that all not recognized series and movies go automatically to the video section. It's difficult to distinguish between videos and not recognized movies/series. The media item details are by library content, not by file type.
    I'm also ex WMC user, but you are the first with such feature request, so the probability is very low it will be changed, as complexity to change it is high and our ressorces are very limited.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    - Is it possible to set an external video player for movies? in MP1, it was possible but I do not see the option in MP2.

I asked the same question years ago with respect to using PowerDVD to play Bluray and 3D. Sadly the option of an external player is still missing which is why, much as I admire many aspects of MP2, I am still using MP1 on my HTPC!

skyly06

March 1, 2021
    Home Country
    France France
    I have installed MP2 on three different computers and check 4K video files.
    On the two computers fitted with Intel core I5 + nvidia GTX 1650, and I7 +internal Graphic board, rendering is ok BUT I can see a lot of CPU consumption meaning that the LAV HEVC decoder does not use hardware resources but CPU decoding. I have tried the same video with "Films" default Windows 10 player and cpu consumption is very low.
    On the third one, the cpu is an AMD APU and if also HEVC decoder does not use Hardware resources, this explains the 1fps.
    So my question : is it possible to activate hardware decoding on the MP2 default player?

For the mix Video and pictures, I am very surprised that nobody has requested this. It is natural now with new phones to combine pictures and videos for the same event. It is so natural to view them on the same order...not separately.
    As a WMC user, you should remember that when looking at pictures, you could select "Associated videos" to see videos found in same directory.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    The pictures library is only intended for images.
    This is true, but as many people have requested this feature you can create the images share to accept videos too. This way you can watch anything on the SD card of your camera in one place.

- It it possible to include the movies created with my camera (.mts or .mov) for Pictures?
    Yes, this definitely is possible in MP2 too. You need to activate this during creation of the images share. If you already have created your image share you need to remove it and add it again. Then tick not only images but video too and you're done... Also I don't know if .mts is a supported video extension. .mov definitely is but I'm not sure about .mts

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom