failed channel change (1 Viewer)

SVoyager

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hello, I could use some help with an issue I got while changing channels.

I was initially running MP client and TVserver on my HTPC but I have recently moved the TVserver over to my storage server and reinstalled MP in client mode only on my HTPC.

So far things are running fine but changing channels is problematic. When it was on my HTPC, the channels changed fine but sometimes would fail (maybe 1 out of 30 channels changes would fail, esp between HD and SD channels). Now changing channels results in 100% fail.

I initiate a channel change, the screen goes black for about 2 seconds and then back (I am using a Colossus card and I am blasting channel changes with a usb-uirt via event ghost). In that 2 seconds of black screen, the channel didnt have time to change so about another 2 seconds later, the screen goes black again as the actual channel is being changed and the image wont come back at that point. The only way is to stop viewing live tv, and then tune again on the channel I wanted to tune to and since the channel is already changed, it will show in live tv without issues.

My guess is that since MP is not expecting the second loss of signal, it seems to be jamming the streaming over the network. I haven't seen anything on the logs but I am not an expert at reading it, there is alot of info in there (I have attached the logs from the server and from the client).

Any suggestions? My guess would be to force MP to wait about 10 seconds before sending the live stream again so that it gets a stable signal all the time but I can't find any options about it.

MP Client Logs:
    http://www.svoyager.com/MPClient-Logs.zip
    TV Server Logs:
    http://www.svoyager.com/TVServer-Logs.zip

Thanks for the help!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

SVoyager

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for the reply mm!

Indeed I just checked lav's settings and it was back to default. When reinstalling everything, I forgot to set it back. Unfortunatly the problem persists after having set it. I tried a few codecs, lav, ms, pdvd. None helped.

As for the spdif, hmm I am a bit relunctant to change it as it was working with spdif when on the htpc and when recording movies, I would love to keep a good audio feed. I heard about the issues some ppl had with the colossus and spdif but not quite sure about that, last time I checked there wasn't all that much ppl that had the issue and seems so dependant on the STB you are connected to etc. However I discovered that the only thing I need to do to continue watching tv after a channel change is to pause live tv and resume it.

So not quite sure what happens when pausing and resuming. Is it a codec thing? Does it reset the stream to the server? Any thoughts?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    As for the spdif, hmm I am a bit relunctant to change it as it was working with spdif when on the htpc and when recording movies...
    The same comments apply as per this thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...after-channel-change-when-using-spdif.118549/

...(which I guess you've already found).

So not quite sure what happens when pausing and resuming. Is it a codec thing? Does it reset the stream to the server? Any thoughts?

It is something in the chain from the Colossus to your screen and speakers running out of data. This is a really complex problem which is unique to capture devices such as the Colossus because we are not able to detect the real channel change.

SVoyager

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thanks for the reply again mm, very appreciated!

Sorry for not being too keen into the spdif change, don't want to be annoying because of it. Just that spdif will give better quality result and would love to take advantage of it. In the end, if I have to switch back to stereo, I will but would love to use spdif if we can make it work!

However, the post you linked was quite welcome actually as it explains alot and has more facts than what I had initially found. I initially thought that I had heard everything about that issue about 6 months ago when I spent entire nights trying to get more info about the spdif issue but that post is a welcome change. Sorry for not having found it. I must say that since I work 50 hours/week these days, I didn't have all the time in the world to start searching again. Just now I am back from work and after writing this post, its gonna be sleep time for me. So apologies for not having done excessive searches prior to this post.

As for a solution, as said in the post you linked, it appears quite difficult to detect the complete channel change. However how about controlling it manually instead? Automatic detection is nice but manual can be equally good in this case and potentially much less complicated. I know that 10 seconds is enough for a channel change (including HD to SD switch) and it is very unlikely for that to change (unless I have to change STB for example) so how about I get to tell the server to ignore any feeds coming from the card for a good 10 seconds after doing a channel change? That way, the server would pretty much only see stable signal from start to finish with perfect audio and video feed. That option could be displayed in the colossus's property page in the tvserver configs. It could even be used in other situations as a diagnostic tool or fallback solution in case of channel change failiures.

Could that be a good solution/workaround to the issue?

Again thanks for taking the time to help with this issue, very appreciated!!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sorry for not being too keen into the spdif change, don't want to be annoying because of it. Just that spdif will give better quality result and would love to take advantage of it. In the end, if I have to switch back to stereo, I will but would love to use spdif if we can make it work!
    No need to apologise - I understand the desire. I guess my point is this is a problem that there doesn't seem to be a nice solution for.

As for a solution, as said in the post you linked, it appears quite difficult to detect the complete channel change. However how about controlling it manually instead?
    I see manual as an absolute last resort. The problem has been simmering in the back of my mind for a couple of months now, and I have an idea that may solve the problem. However, I'm not going to be able to test that for probably 6 months - it requires a few really big and difficult things to be done first. I'm working on those things now slowly...

The other thing you can try now is avoid the RTSP server (which appears to be at the root of the problem) by using UNC paths. cwchapma reported that worked for him:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ge-when-using-spdif.118549/page-2#post-990358

See the details here for how to enable use of UNC instead of RTSP:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...diaPortal_Configuration/22_TV/5_Debug_Options
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/tvplugin-avoiding-rtsp-in-multiseat-mode-test-plz.36735/

SVoyager

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi mm, thanks again for taking the time to answer! I understand about holding off with the manual option, I agree it is always best to code for the best possible fix and while manually setting a timeout value could do it, its not all that user friendly (one more thing to configure) and indeed not the "proper way" to fix things.

The solution about UNC appears to be working for me so far. Both my HTPC and my local computers are able to switch channels without issues now. Happy to see that my dedicated server is now 100% stable, thanks to your help!!

If at some point you need help testing a RTSP fix, don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers
    SV

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The solution about UNC appears to be working for me so far. Both my HTPC and my local computers are able to switch channels without issues now. Happy to see that my dedicated server is now 100% stable, thanks to your help!!
    So it sounds like you have a viable workaround for the moment - excellent! :)

If at some point you need help testing a RTSP fix, don't hesitate to ask!
    Will do. :)

SVoyager

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hi mm, just quickly bringing this back, a quick reminder.
    Do you still have plans to eventually get a RTSP fix as we discussed 4 months ago? Any "loose estimate" on when we could see it?

Just quickly asking, don't take this as "omg i need it nao!", no rush :).
    Cheers and happy holidays!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello SVoyager

...happy holidays!
    Right back at you! :)

Do you still have plans to eventually get a RTSP fix as we discussed 4 months ago? Any "loose estimate" on when we could see it?
    Continuing to work towards it a solution for this problem, but no timeframe estimate. I note that on further thought and research the idea that I had in mind 4 months ago is probably not going to work. Definitely haven't given up though... :)

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom