Failed to startup tvservice (1 Viewer)

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Sorry for asking such an old question, but here goes: I've been away a couple of days, during which time there was a blackout. It corrupted mediaportal - presumably the UPS failed too fast. Anyway, I'd expect to uninstall tvserver and reinstall and get going with no dramas. But not this time - keeps falling over with
    "failed to startup tvserviceSystem.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Requested service not found"
    I'm trying to install 1.2.3, as I know it works on this machine. I've tried uninstalling the whole of mediaportal and even MySQL and reinstalling but still get the same error message. It's not the tuners - Windows Media Center picks up stations with no problems. Can anyone please help?
    Thanks in advance

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Sounds like TV service is not installed correctly.
    Please can you zip and post/attach all TV Server log files in full.

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    I hope this is what you wanted - I haven't zipped them, as they're so small.

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    I'm looking at the instructions for this action and it suggests that a backup be made of the database. But I can't work out where the database is or what it's called. Also, how do I tell if mysqld server is running?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm looking at the instructions for this action and it suggests that a backup be made of the database. But I can't work out where the database is or what it's called.
    The database will be stored in the MySQL data directory. I use a custom location, so I can't give you exact instructions. However, according to the MySQL manual:
    https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/installation-layouts.html

...the default location is c:\Program Files\MySQL Server ...\data\

For what it's worth, if your database is corrupted then I think it's pointless making a backup... because the backup would also be corrupted.

Also, how do I tell if mysqld server is running?
    Assume it is running. The command will fail if it isn't.

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    When I type line 6 I get System Error 5 has occurred and Access is denied.
    I also got this message when I ran the opposite at the beginning (Net Stop TVService) but I did an F5 and repeated it and it ran OK, saying TVService wasn't running. Then I proceeded down to 6 where I got stuck.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I type line 6 I get System Error 5 has occurred and Access is denied.
    You need admin privileges to start (and stop) a service. If you don't start the command prompt with admin privileges then you'll get that error.

If you're stuck at that instruction then simply attempt to open TV Server configuration. You'll then be told TV service is not running, and asked if you want to start the TV service. Click "yes"... and hopefully TV Server works now.

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    I have admin privileges, god only knows why that happened. But as you said, trying to boot TVServer fixed it. And the next time I tried to start it it actually started! I'd about given up hope I'd ever see that screen again. Thanks for your help and patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom