Fanart & coverart pulled from movie folder (1 Viewer)

ngergely

Portal Member
October 17, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've been running through the wiki for this and surfing the forums, but haven't really figured out how to do what I'm trying to do, so I thought it was time to ask.

Current setup:
MediaPortal v1.5
MyFilms v6.0.3.2921
AMC v4.1 Catalog Type
Each movie is stored in its own folder
each movie folder contains the movie, the trailer, a coverart file, & a fanart file

each fanart file is named moviename-fanart
each coverart file is named moviename-poster

All of this is a relic from my days of using XBMC.

Since, I already have fanart and coverart that I've gathered and like for each movie, is there a way to point the AMC import tool or MyFilms in general at those particular files?

If this is covered in a wiki somewhere, please point me in the direction of that wiki as well.

Thanks

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Not exactly. But, if you were using XBMC - do you happen to have .nfo files in each move folder? If so, then you can import them into MyFilms - See the NFO setup guide in wiki. Your cover and fanart should be contained in the nfo. MyFilms will copy the artwork to the folders you select on the Artwork Tab in MyFilms setup as this enables you to download/update/add images within the MyFilms GUI using the Cover Manager/Fanart Manager.

Alternatively, you can export your XMBC database and use XBMC catalog type to create a new MyFilms database - then you can create a new AMC 4.1 catalog pointing to the db file that gets created for MyFilms. However, I don't know if anyone has ever used/tested that method yet.

MyFilms does support importing (and updating) folder.jpg in the movie folder for covers, but AFAIK not moviename-poster.jpg

Trailers should be fine, as long as the filenames match the trailer identification strings (e.g. trl;trailer;\Wclip) or you customize them in AMCU options (see the Trailer setup guide in wiki for details)

ngergely

Portal Member
    October 17, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    sounds good. thanks for the response.

One other feature that I enjoyed in XBMC was the ability to effectively trim down the number of films shown, by creating subgroups (xbmc called them collections). Basically, you could scroll through your list of movies and see a single the single movies and the collections side by side.

For example, I could flip through my list of movies, have Avatar, then the Batman Collection, then Contact, etc. I could select Avatar and it would play, or if I selected the Batman Collection, it would bring up a submenu that would show just the movies in the batman collection.

It was particularly convenient for gathering together movies that were in a collection that didn't start with the same name, i.e. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, & The Dark Knight Rises.

Looking through MyFilms, it looks like there's some functionality to do sets, "Box Sets" in MyFilms. I'll have to look at this some more.

If you've got any further suggestions on how to do this, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yep Box Sets. If you use MyFilms/AMCU to import your movies you can automatically create groups/collections/box sets - see the Groups Setup Guide in wiki.
    Personally I often end up doing it within the My Films GUI because I just find it easier ;) (see Box Sets, Groups in wiki about that)

As of v 6.1.0 you can add multiple films to a 'Box Set' as well as download Group/Collection covers from TMDb from within MyFilms as well. 6.1.0 features are available for testing in v 6.0.3 - see the wiki - What's New > 6.1.0 > Box Sets for details how to enable Test Mode and try out the new features. Note - you will have to use Default skin for now for the Collection Covers as it needs a new skin file which most skins have not had time to implement yet.

I also use the Box Sets View to see all my collections because I usually sort movies by date descending - and Box Sets only show as groups when you sort by name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom