ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Developers
    Is there any chance to achieve a smooth transition for the FanArtBackgrounds? Actually it is really annoying, that always the standard background is always with a flicker visible, when the focus is changed from one to another MediaItem.
    In MP1 there is a smoother transition, means once the focus is changed, the previous FanArtBackground fades away, while the new FanArtBackground fades in.

Is that also possible to achieve for MP2?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Generally spoken the MultiImageSource allows any transisition between different image sources, this is how the PicturePlayer works.

But you have to consider that you then also have a fixed transition duration between each source, which gives "delays" if you move around the media items quickly and thus are changing images sources.

For the current situation you should also try to remove the fallback source defintion (which is shown during time of loading the primary source)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • Admin
    Generally spoken the MultiImageSource allows any transisition between different image sources, this is how the PicturePlayer works.

But you have to consider that you then also have a fixed transition duration between each source, which gives "delays" if you move around the media items quickly and thus are changing images sources.

For the current situation you should also try to remove the fallback source defintion (which is shown during time of loading the primary source)
    Where would I have to remove the FallbackImage?
    In https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...s/Win10/backgrounds/image-background.xaml#L18
    no Fallback is defined and setting the transition effects on "True" has no effect. Are the FanArts shown in a different way?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    if you move around the media items quickly
    On this no change on displayed graphics should happen. Only if the focus stays for e.g. half a second on the same MI, then the transition should start. While scrolling through the list the multiple tries to load and show graphics are only disturbing and slowing down the GUI...

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @ge2301: Ok, this was a misunderstanding. The xaml you have linked to applies to the PicturePlayer fullscreen, not fanart.

I meant the fallbacksource (MediaItem) here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...lueVision/screens/MediaItemFanArt.inc#L23-L25

Regarding transitions: if you look at the class comments:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...rols/ImageSources/MultiImageSource.cs#L38-L43

Our FanArtImageSource derives from this class, which means it is able to use all transition features as well. The allowed transitions are defined by https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...s/Win10/backgrounds/image-background.xaml#L21

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • Admin
    But this does not affect the FanArtImage in the Background or does it? Actually I mean the FanArts in the background. Between them the standard background image is always "popping up", not a fallback. :)

Deleting the fallback means also, that no audio covers are shown any more. The fallback referrs to the MediaItem itself as you know. Since nothing for audio available, the cover is the MediaItem fallback .

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • Admin
    From my understanding the transition, delay etc. of FanArtImages in the background demand #C changes. Therefore I tagged also developers. Is my understanding right?
    Target is, that the "current" FanArtBackground is kept, until the "next" FanArtBackground is loaded. There shouldn't be a intermediate (Fallback, standard background etc. in between).
    I believe it is possible somehow, as also available in MP1.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Have you tried a picture slide show yet? ("add all to playlist")
    There you can see that image transistions are working.

That's why I have asked if you have tried the transition / transition duration properties on FanArtImageSource already? And omitting any FallbackSources if present.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    • Admin
    That's why I have asked if you have tried the transition / transition duration properties on FanArtImageSource already? And omitting any FallbackSources if present.
    I think there is still a small misunderstanding :)
    I do not know in which xaml I can change a FallbackSource for a FanArt Background. I do not mean the BV Fanart showing in the frame on right side.

Transitions for picture slide shows are working. In case I omit the FallbackSource for the BV Fanart showing on the right side, the shadow behind is popping up instead of the Fallback. So the flicker is always, I can just decide what is popping up between two FanArtImages.
    In general FanArts should be visible, until another FanArt is loaded and is ready to show.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think you're going to run into problems trying to get transitions to work for the background fanart. It currently uses a FanArtImageSourceConverter which creates a new FanArtImageSource every time the binding (media item) changes, this means that transitions can't be used because they only work when the ImageSource stays the same but it's url changes.

I have implemented a new ImageSource that works around this by accepting an ImageSource as a source. It does work and allows a smooth transition when scrolling, etc but I never released it because I wasn't entirely happy about how it was implemented, i.e in xaml you need to declare my image source with the actual image source nested inside which seemed a bit hacky.
    I did also add add a delay property which improves scrolling a lot, it will only load/display a new image when the binding hasn't changed for a set period of time, which avoids loading a lot of images when scrolling quickly through a list.

It is implemented entirely as a plugin so I might tidy it up this weekend and let you have a try @ge2301

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom