FAQ Sucks: No mention of Direct TV (1 Viewer)

Attikai

Portal Member
October 21, 2005
So after looking at the FAQ that doesn't mention supported broadcast packages I gave MP a try but it looks like it has no support for Satellite subscribers. Or am I wrong? If I'm right then why not put that in the FAQ so people don't waste their time with a MC app that won't work for them?

Attikai

Portal Member
October 21, 2005
That's what I'm doing. It will continue to suck until that info is in there. It sucks to look through the FAQ, check the forum, search the web and finally realize the only way to find out is to install it and then find out it doesn't seem to work. Does that not seem sucky to you?

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    I really shouldn't bother responding to you, but if all you're going to do is say things suck I would kindly suggest you take your business elsewhere.

This is not a commercial product, nobody makes money out of this, everyone gives up their freetime to contribute to it, so that people, like you, can get a FREE software.

I could say that since MP is open source and we have a wiki projects you could simply add the information yourself so that the next person doesnt get the impression of wasting their time by trying this FREE software, but seeing how you phrase your statements, I actually ask you not to.

So please go somewhere where the FAQ is "less sucky".

Have a nice day.

Attikai

Portal Member
    October 21, 2005
    Sorry if the word "suck" is so offensive to you. To me it's pretty mild. I used it to get attention to help other people in this community, or people considering using MP. If you search for Direct TV on the forums you'll find a politely phrased question, the same question I have, that was ignored because he forgot to put "suck" in the thread title.

Two people have now responded to this thread both hurt that I said the FAQ sucked but neither can answer my question.

kaliatech

Portal Member
    September 28, 2005
    Maybe try searching for "DirecTV" or "DTV", not direct tv. Your choice of keywords sucks.

I use MP with DirecTV and there are few others on the forums that do as well. I control my external DirecTV settop box channels with a USBUIRT. I also have some satellite functions integrated outside of MP by using Girder. A better way to have MP change DirecTV channels, is to get a settop box that supports a serial control cable. There are few utilities/plugins floating around that help with this, but it isn't easy unless you were willing to try a few different keywords other than 'suck'. Worked for me anyways, but it did take too much time and a lot of reading.

After you figure out how to control your settop with MP, you need to get your TVGuide info imported, probably via XMLTV format. DirectData (Zapit) does have DirecTV programming info for the US.

All this assumes you already understand the basics of using MP (or any PVR). Items such as getting a TV capture card, etc.

Getting MP to work *cleanly* with DirecTV right now is definitely not easy. Support is limited. Many (most) of the devs are not Americans, and so haven't prioritized things like entering channel numbers directly for example.

The FAQ, wiki, and support forums are not as strong (or as 'nice') as what you might find elsewhere, even other opensource projects. This project is relatively new. IMO, MP currently rules on features and looks, but I don't think its easy to install/setup for my configuration and the last beta version hasn't been very stable in my experience so far. I'm fairly new to MP myself though.

In summary, try not to suck on your first forum posts.

Attikai

Portal Member
    October 21, 2005
    Thanks for the reply. You're right my keyword sucked. I don't have a problem admitting that nor do I take it personally.

I use Windows Media Center 2005 right now and thought Media Portal looked cool so I wanted to try it. I have an IR blaster and a media center remote and media center keyboard. If I can get things sorted out I'll make another post to help other people in my boat.

It would be cool to have a migrate from Microsoft MCE guide for those of us ready to jump ship.

Thanks again for the reply.

Khris

Portal Pro
    July 2, 2005
    Edmonton, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    CHli said:
    Since you're migratting now why don't you write the guide ? :D

This would be really cool 8)

Exactly.....rather then just simply saying it "sucks", put that same energy into making it better!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom