fast forward and rewind work like crap for movies (1 Viewer)

donmega

Portal Member
November 14, 2005
Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 0200
MediaPortal Skin: blue 2
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
DirectX Version: 9.0c
Audio Codec: MPEG/AC3/DTS/LPCM Audio Decoder
Video Codec: Mpeg2Dec Filter
CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: via kt880a
TV Card Model: phillips
Video Card Model: Geforce FX 5200
Audio Card Model: Generic 7.1
Synopsis::

Ok so if I try to seek in movies @ say 2x the movie completely stops but the seek goes, in other words the seek works but I cant see the movie seeking @ double speed, it just freezes on the frame its on,
And when I do use seek 2x is more like 8x or even 16x, its crazy fast. Definetly not 2x.

If I try to seek in Divx encoded movies the whole thing just looks up.
personally I think Divx and Xvid blow so I dont use them, I have 1 old movie that I havent re-encoded yet so thats how I know about the locking up.

All of my moives are encoded in SVCD Mpeg2 @ around 3000kbps+ , There all 2-6gb each so I dont think its a bit rate problem.

Also if your wondering why i say Divx and Xvid blow its because after 2 weeks of non stop encoding the same movie over and over and not being able to get the quality I wanted even with the file ending up over 9gigabytes, YES 9 GB I decided to try SVCD and low and behold the movie looks great @ 2gb and damn near original @ 4gb with no post processing needed.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
August 13, 2005
Home Country
Afghanistan Afghanistan
donmega said:
Also if your wondering why i say Divx and Xvid blow its because after 2 weeks of non stop encoding the same movie over and over and not being able to get the quality I wanted even with the file ending up over 9gigabytes, YES 9 GB I decided to try SVCD and low and behold the movie looks great @ 2gb and damn near original @ 4gb with no post processing needed.

My experience would be exactly the opposite. Perhaps there is an issue with the way you are encoding.

I checked a DivX file and you are right, 2x surely isn't 2x, it appears to be closer to 4x (but not 8x or 16x), but I do get a picture when I am fast forwarding. I would suspect a codec issue is causing your problems.

donmega

Portal Member
November 14, 2005
jawbroken said:
donmega said:

My experience would be exactly the opposite. Perhaps there is an issue with the way you are encoding.

I checked a DivX file and you are right, 2x surely isn't 2x, it appears to be closer to 4x (but not 8x or 16x), but I do get a picture when I am fast forwarding. I would suspect a codec issue is causing your problems.

I use #1 DVD ripper to encode, its a great lil prog cause u can rip and encode right from the dvd and wake up and everything is done.
But its not a stripped down proggy either. You can choose your filter weather it be DIVX, XVID, WM9 etc.. then click on the filter to setup all the advanced encoding options just like any other encoding software.

I read tons of posts on the doom9 forums and after changing setting after setting after setting I finally said to hell with it. Im gonna try something else.
So I asked what else to use on the forums over there and got a simple response
"you said you have 500gb of storage space and file size is not an issue, so my only question is why would you want to encode in DIVX?"

That got me thinking, I always thought SVCD was old and crappy compaired to divx and xvid but the truth is (as far as I know) xvid and divx really only shine when storage space is an issue, like trying to compress a 9gb dvd into a 700mb package.

Also seek issues are normal in AVI format because something about there not being enough frame position marker thingies. Not supposed to happen as bad in mpeg2.

Try ripping a movie with #1 dvd ripper and use SVCD, use the bit rate calculater and set your output file to be around 2.5gb in a single file and lemme know how you think it compaires to your avi files.

Also when i try to see on Divx, and Xvid the whole machine just locks.

donmega

Portal Member
November 14, 2005
Ok just switched codecs, got the Nvidia platinum codecs and set my videos, dvd, and tv to use them.

DVD seeks great as usual, everything from 2x-32x looks and works perfect.

My svcd movies however are still not seeking properly but at least now when I seek @ 2x I get some frame jumping which is helpful to tell where I am, its still seeking around 8-16x in 2x seek though.

Divx still locks up the whole machine and I have to restart it.

Thanks for the help thus far, I am happier with the Nvidia codecs so far.

viralburn

Portal Member
June 21, 2005
Divx 6

I use divx 6 (payed for it too :) ) and i have to say i am really pleased, i use a two step process to rip,

1. Use dvd decryptor to rip in ifo mode, i choose allow stream processing and select language and subititles that i want. This gives me the video_ts (vob) files at about 6 Gb.

2. I then drag the first vob into divx coder (i forget what it is called properly). This will encode the film to divx format WITH all languages and subtitles. The end single file is about 1.5 - 2 Gb.

The whole thing takes about 2-3 hours on a 3.0Ghz. Ripping takes about 10 mins, and converting takes the rest of the time. My result is pretty much DVD quality picture + sound (keeps the sound format) and multiple languages and subtitles.

hth,

all the best, + happy new year all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom