Fast forwarding tv (1 Viewer)

Neild7744

Portal Pro
July 25, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Already done that.

The local tv with tv server and mediaportal front end installed on my lounge tv does kind of work ok. It's quick (as I'd expect).

But why would .avi files fast forward on my client ok and .ts files struggle? They are of similar size... If anything some of the .avi files are bigger, yet they fast forward and rewind much better.

Thanks for your help btw. I really appreciate it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But why would .avi files fast forward on my client ok and .ts files struggle? They are of similar size... If anything some of the .avi files are bigger, yet they fast forward and rewind much better.
    It is basically nothing to do with the file size and everything to do with the network reliability (speed, latency) and the biggest key: buffer size.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    So are we saying buffer size for ts files is different to say an avi file?
    Almost certainly. In the case of the non-TS files, there will be buffering in both the file system (ie. Windows) and the splitter; in the case of TS files read via RTSP you only have the splitter buffering.

Based on your response but without the requested log files I'd suggest two things:
    1. Try increasing the TsReader buffer size (instructions - search "BufferingDelayInMilliSeconds").
    2. Try using UNC paths instead of RTSP for timeshifting (link).
    If you're still using MP 1.4 as your system specs suggest then you might need to upgrade to test these.

Durz0Blint123

March 4, 2017
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    So I know this is a REALLY old post, but was there a resolution to this? My recordings in MP1 Fast forward just fine. But in MP2 (all stock settings) the fast forward is terrible. Just a jumpy image that doesn't appear to be going any faster. My data is stored locally. OS is on a SSD, recordings are on a secondary HDD. I have to resort to using the keyboard/mouse to jump the progress bar past the commercials...
    I tried MP2 a couple years ago (shortly after it was released) and had this problem along with other issues so I went back to MP1. A few months ago my MP1 install got corrupt some how so I decided rather than repairing/reinstalling MP1, I'd see if MP2 has gotten any better. But this Fast Forward issue is still there for some reason. Again, pretty much all encoding settings are whatever the stock settings are. And though I haven't tried it in this install yet, rewind didn't work at all the last time I tried.
    I don't feel like I should have to play with a bunch of background settings to get FF to work properly, you'd think the stock codecs and qualities would be such that all features worked properly. Or should I just go back to MP1 to get full functionality back?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So I know this is a REALLY old post, but was there a resolution to this? My recordings in MP1 Fast forward just fine. But in MP2 (all stock settings) the fast forward is terrible. Just a jumpy image that doesn't appear to be going any faster. My data is stored locally. OS is on a SSD, recordings are on a secondary HDD. I have to resort to using the keyboard/mouse to jump the progress bar past the commercials...
    I tried MP2 a couple years ago (shortly after it was released) and had this problem along with other issues so I went back to MP1. A few months ago my MP1 install got corrupt some how so I decided rather than repairing/reinstalling MP1, I'd see if MP2 has gotten any better. But this Fast Forward issue is still there for some reason. Again, pretty much all encoding settings are whatever the stock settings are. And though I haven't tried it in this install yet, rewind didn't work at all the last time I tried.
    I don't feel like I should have to play with a bunch of background settings to get FF to work properly, you'd think the stock codecs and qualities would be such that all features worked properly. Or should I just go back to MP1 to get full functionality back?

As this is an MP2 problem, you should ask about this over in the MP2 forums - MediaPortal 2 | MediaPortal HTPC

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom