Faster image browsing (1 Viewer)

Rybber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2004
Denmark
Hi

Compaired to Meedio, image browsing is painfully slow. It almost doesn't respond to button presses because it takes several seconds to load the new picture.

I'm trying to view 5-6MB DLSR pics, and in Meedio it's blazing fast.

Any plans to improve this?

Greets, Rybber

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I have hundreds of 5 megapixel pictures (2 - 2,2 MB). They switch without delay. You are not talking about the first time you access the files? Because then it builds up the thumbs database, which takes a while and makes it slow.

tomtom21000

HenriM

Portal Pro
    October 17, 2004
    Rijsbergen, The Netherlands
    I have asked for this before, but perhaps this a good thread to raise the question once more. It would be great if there's a seperate utility which creates the thumbnails of a directory and all directories below it automatically and place the results in the 'thumbnails database' of Mediaportal. This way I can run it overnight without needing to click all the directories where my pictures resides.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Most likely you r not using a full dx9 compatible card,
    or you do not have the latest drivers supporting this.

We use DX9 instructions loading the pictures and showing them using transitions. When your card does not support this DX9 instruction your CPU will start the calulations. BUT
    Your CPU is painfully slow with this. GPU's are way way better for this.

This results in slow showing of pictures.

My pics viewing is super fast.

Rybber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2004
    Denmark
    I'm pretty sure my VGA card supports DX9, it's an Asus ATI 9200SE ?

Yes, the thumbs hadn't finished when I started the show, but when using Meedio there's no problem what-so-ever ?

Maybe there should be a function to disable/halt thumb generation when showing pics fullscreen?

Rybber

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    don't compare us with meedio.
    Meedio's is NOT using DX9 instructions.

And ASUS has a reputation of NOT being up 2 date with their drivers.
    So again, your card is not DX9 compatible causing these slowdowns.

Thumb generation should only be done once, so not really needed to halt anything for this one time I think.

Rybber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2004
    Denmark
    So my Asus ATI A9200SE is NOT dx9 compatible???

What does this mean exactly? - is this why I'm experiencing slowdowns with Pictures and Media Portal in general ?

I might try and reinstall it on my desktop computer and see if it makes any difference...

Rybber

gabbe

Portal Pro
    August 8, 2004
    Sweden
    No, 9200 is only a DirectX 8.1 card. What that means I don't know exactly (look at tom's hardware or at anands), but for sure, newer direct9x calls must be done in s/w.

MrMario64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    simply said,
    Your card does not understand the commands we give it as they r direct x 9 commands, and your card is directx8.
    So, the CPU/directx will emulate these functions and calculate it for you instead of your gfx card hardware doing it.

But, hardware rendering is way faster than software rendering, that you must know, and is also a CPY cycles eater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom