Fastest way to navigate to a movie? (1 Viewer)

mkygod

January 29, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
In MediaPortals default My Video's interface, I can just press any of the alpha-numeric buttons on my Harmony880 remote to get to the movie I want alphabetically. I find that is very effective in finding my movies rather than scrolling down or using pagedown or pageup. Also, i don't want to have to use my keyboard. i want to use only the alphanumeric buttons on the remote.

Problem is I can't seem to do that with Moving Pictures. I tried pressing the numpad, and it does seem to do something but i don't know what. Can anyone tell me what the numpad does in Moving Pictures and what the fastest way of selecting a specific movie on your list? I have about 300 movies on it and its pain to find a movie to watch.

1stdead

Portal Pro
February 1, 2008
Copenhagen
Home Country
Denmark Denmark
It's using the phone-"keyboard"-thing..
If you want to search for The Dark Night, you should type 3278 (Def-Abc-pqRs-jKl) and etc.

A very easy and yet effective way to navigate...

Btw. you should look here:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ad-moving-pictures-public-beta-0-6-6-a-48802/

Remote Control Movie Filtering
You can now use the number pad on the remote control to input a partial movie title via "cell phone style" input to filter the movies listed in Moving Pictures. If for example you type 786 (which could stand for SUN, STO, and others), the movie list would be filtered to Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, Little Miss Sunshine, Stop or My Mom Will Shoot (!), etc.

mkygod

January 29, 2009
Home Country
I see what you mean. It uses predictive text like on cellphones.

However, what if I just wanted to skip to movies that start with the letter B? For instance, if i want to find Bobby in my phonebook on my cellphone, i could just press B and get to the B names instead of having to type out B-O-B on my phone.

I'm not much of a phone texting guy and would just prefer to get the first letter of what im looking for. When i press 3 (to look for D movies) in Moving Pictures, it just lists out all of my movies that has the letter D in it, which is almost useless. It should be smart enough to know that if I am just pressing ONLY ONE alphanumeric key, that I want just movies starting with that letter, and not list movies with that letter in it.

ibmonkey

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 1, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    i'm also confused by the current predictive text style input, i think if it was like the default my videos interface it would be far simpler to use. thanks armandp, i look forward to version 0.7 :)

mkygod

January 29, 2009
    Home Country
    The predictive text works the same way a cellphone works when you use alphanumeric keys. It tries to guess what word you are trying type out based on the combination of alphanumeric keys you pressed.

This is a good feature if you are looking for a specific title. But not so good if you just want to get to the first letter of the title with a single key press. They are fixing that in 0.7 apparently and its much welcomed, IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom