[Feature] Easier access to Configs (1 Viewer)

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

I am using AMC for my media stored on a NAS and I do currently test DVD Profiler for my offline media like DVDs and BRs. Thanks for this tipp (@Dadeo, if I remember correctly)! I did made two configs for those two DBs, easier than I thought, the settings screen looks very complex on the first run, but the wizards help very much.

Anyway, am I right, that there is no way to display the entries of both configs (DBs) at the same time? As stated in the Wiki I have to go to various Menus to change the config (unless I activate the menu on entry of myFilms, what I do not want).

Would it be possible to add a button (spinwheel or dropdown) in the plugin screen to switch fast between the configs? And a checkbox in the setup of the config: "Add this config to spinwheel". This way I could choose configs not often used (or not wishing to be directly accessible like fsk18 content) to show up or not in the wheel, but still being accessible through the Options-Menu.

Thanks for this very nice plugin!
    Flip.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hey FlipGer - glad DVD Profiler worked well for you :)
    Yes AFAIK you are correct, there is no way to display the entries in two db/configs at the same time, however you can export from DVD Profiler to XML as you do already for MF, and then use AMC importer for DVD Profiler. I haven't used it for a LONG time, but this would enable you to have all your movies in one DB. Then you could create a separte View in MF for your offline media if you wish (via filter if needed, or just by media label field depending how you entered that.) If you get it all worked out, and want to automate the process, MF supports pre launch commands - so you might be able to auto export from DVD Profiler and import to AMC/MF whenever you start up MF.

Another option would be to backup your DVDP db to nfo using that option in AMCUpdater, then just scan the movies into your main db using NFO grabber. I haven't tried that yet either - you might need to use the tmp xml file MF creates for your DVDP export xml.

In any case, your suggestion for easier switching between configs is good. I have to do it a ton for testing, and I agree it could be easier! Currently it's five clicks: 1. Menu 2. down to Options 3. Select Options 4. Select DB/Config 5 or more. click down to Config/DB.
    Easiest solution would be to add Select DB/Config to the main menu - that reduces it by two clicks, and AFAIK it is possible to use a button that just cycles them like the layouts button used to - but that is a pita if you have a lot of them ;)
    Is that close to what you meant by 'spinwheel'?

Last edited:

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Re "merged views of different DBs": That is not possible and imho not necessary. But what is possible is to create miltiple configs based on the same DB with different filters - so you can create one config showing all and one with pin protect only showing the part that is allowed for kids (just as an example, but tht is a common one ;-)) This requires of course that all data is in one DB.
    Re changing configs: It is no problem to add another button for skinners to directly access that from hidden menu. I didn't understand, what you meant with "spinwheel"?
    Re option to add config to whatever selection dialog: Not sure, if that is worth it, as pin protected configs can't be accessed - so it is purely a question if the respective config is visible or not. However, it is not too difficult, so if added to tracker and enough ppl want it, it is no problem adding such feature.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey FlipGer - glad DVD Profiler worked well for you :)
    Yes AFAIK you are correct, there is no way to display the entries in two db/configs at the same time, however you can export from DVD Profiler to XML as you do already for MF, and then use AMC importer for DVD Profiler. I haven't used it for a LONG time, but this would enable you to have all your movies in one DB. Then you could create a separte View in MF for your offline media if you wish (via filter if needed, or just by media label field depending how you entered that.) If you get it all worked out, and want to automate the process, MF supports pre launch commands - so you might be able to auto export from DVD Profiler and import to AMC/MF whenever you start up MF.

Many thanks for this tip will give it a try...

In any case, your suggestion for easier switching between configs is good. I have to do it a ton for testing, and I agree it could be easier! Currently it's five clicks: 1. Menu 2. down to Options 3. Select Options 4. Select DB/Config 5 or more. click down to Config/DB.
    Easiest solution would be to add Select DB/Config to the main menu - that reduces it by two clicks, and AFAIK it is possible to use a button that just cycles them like the layouts button used to - but that is a pita if you have a lot of them ;)
    Is that close to what you meant by 'spinwheel'?

Yes, very close. Also thanks to Guzzi for replying! :)

You discribed the clicking way very well, and 5 Clicks are just no fun. ;)
    Do not know, where I saw a spinning wheel last time in MP. It is a Button looking like that:
    <- [DBConfigName] ->

If it is focused, you can switch between the entries just hitting left/right

Anyway, a button in the main menu would be great. Either with dialog popup or cycle button.
    Greetings and a happy new year!

Flip.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ah, selectbutton? - like TV Search by first letter of Title - or like OnlineVideos uses for Categories/Max Results, Order by? Is that what you mean? The only issue is that if your config name is long IIRC selectbutton does not support scrolling text so it just cuts off :( IMO the new menubutton - like View by - might be better - especially if you have a few configs - I remember when layout button cycled I could never remember what order they were in , especially when it varied in diff plugins, so I ended up going back when I should go forward and vice versa :) :rolleyes:

We could probably make the button conditional - only displays if you have more than one config. eh Guzzi? :p
    If you could enter an issue in the My Films Tracker, it would get done sooner, especially if other users 'star' it ;)

Happy New Year to you to Flip!

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    We could probably make the button conditional - only displays if you have more than one config. eh Guzzi? :p
    I think that is more a skin question, no? No problem to set properties for the button control of course.
    If we need anything different than a "normal" button, I need the corresponding input from a skinner ;-)

Last edited:

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yes skin can make it conditional IF there is a skin property for the # configs - IIRC there isn't - but MF has so many I maybe missed it ;)

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Yes skin can make it conditional IF there is a skin property for the # configs - IIRC there isn't - but MF has so many I maybe missed it ;)
    No, there isn't a skin property - we show the # in setup, that's it. But easy enough to do that - or set properties of the control directly ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom