Feature Request - CouchPotato & Sick Beard notification integration (1 Viewer)

Msidney

Portal Member
April 15, 2010
Home Country
Hi this is a request for better integration between Media Portal and Couchpotato and Sick Beard.
Desired feature:
Currently these two programs look after my movie and TV show collection. There are currently options within both of these programs to send notifications when a new movie or episode is complete which, with xbmc, automatically adds the new content to the library and shows a notification.
I think this would be a great feature in media portal because currently if there is new content to be added that wasn't there after a start-up you then need to force a new library update, which scans all of the possible directories for new content, which can take a while.
Anyways would love to hear what people think or if they have figured out some other method of quickly updating library's when new content is available..
Cheers,
Matt

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    I am also interested in this, and my name is Matt as well :). I have not messed with plugins at all, but it seems to me that it would be easy enough to create a process plugin to listen for notifications.

mattjcurry

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 24, 2011
    So can you guys explain how you imagine this feature working?

Does anyone know how it works in XBMC? I have not seen a demo yet, but I have a friend that has it set up and he says it is awesome.

I am going to go check it out in a couple weeks when he is back in town.

Matt

Last edited:

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I like this idea.

I recently set something similar up with growl for windows which is already supported by the tools you are talking about. With Visor display it fits in nicely with Avalon/Maya/StreamedMP.

In addition, in combination with eventghost you can be notified when 4tr has recorded something or done the epg import, a machine in your network isn't reachable anymore, an email came in or whatever.... A lot of things are possible.

With growl you can additionally have sent the messages to your other machines and even to your smart phone to be informed about any kind of event.

Just a thought: Maybe it would be the better approach to think about better integration of eventghost and/or growl. So you could have a central place to manage your notifications in/out of a lot of applications.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I think the big issue is that MePo does not have a notification window/screen.

One way to implement this is to have a notification screen which shows all new messages - which will need acknowledging before their status changes.

The screen could be accessible from the home menu, where its hoover icon has a star for unaccepted messages?

This would be a generic notification window for all types of messages.

J.

bodiroga

Portal Pro
    January 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    There is already a plugin named notification bar, it just needs to be supported by other plugins to show messages. Might be a good base I think not to start at zero.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/notificationbar.99207/

Exactly!

That's way I wrote to GetWell to ask him if he is going to continue developing the plugin. This plugin has an incredible potencial to work together with Eventghost or home automation programs, and of course it can be used by other MP plugins to display notifications (database updates, more info in recordings, plugin updates notifications...). Right now notifications in MP are handled creating individual dialog notifications instead of using a centralized mode, so we should try to push this forward as it would be a great addition for MP.

mattjcurry, if you are interesed please contact GetWell, I'm sure that he will appreciate your help ;-) (Many thanks for your work with comskip markers, I can't wait to see it implemented in 1.3 Beta!)

Best regards,

Aitor

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    MP-TVSeries and (maybe) Moving Pictures automatically add new content so there is no problem actually.
    UPD: And couchpotato and sickbeard functionality could be replaced by mp plugins like MP NZB since it could i.e. search missing episodesw for a tv show. So notification could be done natively thru GUIDialogNotify in this case.

Last edited:

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I still think if you are likely to get multiple messages, and require the feature of acknowledging them, then you need a screen or window.

It won't work with a small banner type solution at the top of the screen. Some days I may get 20+ notifications, it would be nice having a screen I simply go in from the home page (or direct from a remote button press) and then scroll through them selecting the ones to acknowledge.

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom