Feature request for MP1.18 show number programs and subfolder instead of date (1 Viewer)

Paul Jackson

Portal Member
May 15, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
(Note I have attached code that actually implement this feature request. )

The feature request is similar to what already takes place in MediaPortal 2 but for me MediaPortal 2 does have the current plug-ins and features. It also does not appear to be as active as this project. I actually modified the code myself from what appears to be the 1.17 version of the code. I think it might be helpful for other people but I understand people's timing and priorities of individual feature request may not coincide with what I consider important.

I can remerge it every time if need be but I think this might be beneficial for other users. The count shows when it is sorted by date and title when the screen initially loads.

I have tried a different sort options and group by options and I don't think I introduced anything new. If is an individual item it will show the date.

Sample screens have been included. I simply rebuilt and placed the TVplugin.dll in the correct installation directory to use it. My goal in changing this was to make as few changes as possible to accomplish the feature.

group by .....

name
Main screen by name.png

date
Main group by date.png

genre
group byGenred.png

channel
group by channele.png

This is what it looks like inside a sub folder
2017-08-15 (6).png

I can see the inconsistency in the way the data displayed in the main tree level and the subtree but for my uses I actually like the way it appears better.

Attachments

• TvRecorded.zip
    12.2 KB
Last edited:

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    (Note I have attached code that actually implement this feature request. )

The feature request is similar to what already takes place in MediaPortal 2 but for me MediaPortal 2 does have the current plug-ins and features. It also does not appear to be as active as this project. I actually modified the code myself from what appears to be the 1.17 version of the code. I think it might be helpful for other people but I understand people's timing and priorities of individual feature request may not coincide with what I consider important.

I can remerge it every time if need be but I think this might be beneficial for other users. The count shows when it is sorted by date and title when the screen initially loads.

I have tried a different sort options and group by options and I don't think I introduced anything new. If is an individual item it will show the date.

Sample screens have been included. I simply rebuilt and placed the TVplugin.dll in the correct installation directory to use it. My goal in changing this was to make as few changes as possible to accomplish the feature.

group by .....

name
    View attachment 192394

date
    View attachment 192393

genre
    View attachment 192392

channel
    View attachment 192396

This is what it looks like inside a sub folder
    View attachment 192397

I can see the inconsistency in the way the data displayed in the main tree level and the subtree but for my uses I actually like the way it appears better.
    Hi,

Can you do the same in radio recorded screen?

Paul Jackson

Portal Member
    May 15, 2015
    Home Country
    I don't actually record any radio but I do have a tuner card that is capable of recording radio. But the summary is I think most likely I could figure out how to do it if it's similar but I don't have data to test it with.

If I can just Fake It Out by an SQL script of inserting information to tables so the user interface will see recordings would probably be the easiest method. Once I have that I can take a quick look to see how easy it would be to roll this change into it. Another method could be to somehow get data into the database like the recorded TV import which might actually don't more thorough then I would double check to make sure the user interface is selecting the correct file to play back.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    In fact TVRecorded and RadioRecorded has quite the same code :)
    So @Paul Jackson, if you can create the same code on RadioRecorded source code it could be nice, even if you can't fully test but if it build, it could be ok. Team will look the code after that thanks.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In a previous life I worked for a company that bent over backwards to maintain upward compatibility with each new release of the product. Obviously, this did not mean that bugs went unfixed, but if a change was made to the externals of the product, or the behaviour of the product, that change was offered as a user setting, with the default being the old way of doing things (unless the new way was clearly superior).

I have attached code that actually implement this feature request.
    Have you added a user setting to control switching from the old way to the new way? It seems to me that one of the reasons that people choose to use MP instead of the DVRs sold/rented by their TV providers is precisely because they can customise MP to appear and behave in exactly the way that they want. So the proposed change is a valuable addition to the range of customisations offered by MP, but the old style should continue to be supported.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Paul Jackson

Portal Member
    May 15, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes the age-old argument of backward compatibility and did not mention it for brevity. No there are no configurable options. I can understand the desire to have one but I was trying to make it as small a change as possible.

Before this solutions, I tried to add the count in another column so as not to make the date disappear (using Label3 instead of Label2), that way it would have been just an additional feature on top of something they already had. It did end up showing but showed on the line below and clobbered the icon of the line below. Then when you move the cursor down the icon appeared with the number superimposed.

I tried messing with the skin file and had no success. I did find one other screen that used Label3 but it was on a different line. If that is possible, could someone point me in the right direction? Ideally, it would be nice if it could be something that was placed in the skin but I'm not sure if that's possible because I'm not that familiar with creating and modifying skins. I am only suggesting using existing skin C# code.

Edit: In regards to recorded radio after a second look, it turns out I was looking in the wrong place. The code is part of the TVPlugin.dll not the other place connected with music. Whatever solution is for recorded TV should be a similar solution to the recorded radio code if the feature is implemented. Make the modification to the recorded radio section in the same manner would have the same backward compatibility issue.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't actually record any radio ... I don't have data to test it with.
    I record several radio programmes each week, and so have an interest in support for radio being the same as support for TV.

If it would be of help to you, I can upload several short radio recordings that you could use for testing. As an example, a 5-minute recording is around 4 MBytes in size. However, your MP won't recognise my radio stations, which may affect MP's behaviour in the radio panels. :confused:

Paul Jackson

Portal Member
    May 15, 2015
    Home Country
    I record several radio programmes each week, and so have an interest in support for radio being the same as support for TV.

If it would be of help to you, I can upload several short radio recordings that you could use for testing. As an example, a 5-minute recording is around 4 MBytes in size. However, your MP won't recognise my radio stations, which may affect MP's behaviour in the radio panels. :confused:

Thanks for the offer but I was able to record a few. Upon restarting mediaportal it looks like either there's something with my evironment or a bug. The TV program guide no longer shows any data it just shows the hashtag labels. Once every remove all the radio stations the TV Guide shows correctly again. This is just an FYI because I'm not sure I want to look at error logs or have you take the time to figure what's going on with my environment because I don't plan on using radio.

I can use the two programs I recorded to at least give some level of test at the code. If I get adventurous I could insert some stuff into the database.

Last edited:

Paul Jackson

Portal Member
    May 15, 2015
    Home Country
    I just use the visual my sql Editor to modify the particular records. I'm not sure of people's timeline for the radio but I've got to start on least having some records and will probably not have some time to look further into the code until next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom