Feature request: Give us back the old recording scheduler! (1 Viewer)

peterk

Portal Member
November 8, 2004
Please give us back tthe "old" recording scheduler. The new scheduler (with its recording granularity of at least 15min) causes a longer recording duration and recording conflicts in many times.

In order to see this problems clearly, please a assume a recording starting at 10:14 and ending at 10:31. With the current scheduler you have to enter a starting time of 10:00h and an ending time of 10:45 making the recording duration 45min instead of 17min. An additional recording starting at 10:32 will conflict with the other. From my point of view this is absolutely not necessary.

Please have a look at the "petition" at http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7920 where other people stated that they would like to have the old scheduler back.

Thanks in advance
Peter

OleBent

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2005
    Not sure that I can follow you on the...
    "Gime me back the old one"
    Was kind of a messy dialog.

But I agree on the basic point of your post.

A method for a more precise manual recording scheduler than the one we have in 0.1.3 would be very nice.

/OleBent

Boris

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2005
    France
    Re: Feature request: Give us back the old recording schedule

I'm not agree, the actual one is great.
    peterk said:
    ...In order to see this problems clearly, please a assume a recording starting at 10:14 and ending at 10:31...
    In that case, why don't you schedule the recording with the EPG guide ?

OleBent

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2005
    Dont want to bore anyone with long expmanations but there are times when eben a working EPG isnt my preference for recording.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm a cloggy down under, in sunny Brizzy, who I also would like to have the old recording scheduler back.The new scheduler with its 15 minute blocks is to restrictive.I actualy went back to version 0.1.1.1 only because of the scheduler. :(

Why not use the EPG you ask? Well, if the TV people could only stick to the times and programs they put in their EPG than it might work, but for the moment I find using the EPG hopeless due to the "let's not do what we say" :evil: attitude of the TV channels/providers.

peterk

Portal Member
    November 8, 2004
    Re: Feature request: Give us back the old recording schedule

Boris said:
    In that case, why don't you schedule the recording with the EPG guide ?

Hi Boris,

I'am not using the EPG guide because my Mediaportal machine
    a.) isn't connected to the internet
    b.) I'am using a Hauppauge PVR USB2 which can't read in epg data from the tv signal

Therefore there is no chance for me to get the pvr data easily. And (on the other side) the old manual recordings dialog worked fine for me. I do not understand the why this one has been replaced by the current one.

Boris

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2005
    France
    guytpetj said:
    Why not use the EPG you ask? Well, if the TV people could only stick to the times and programs they put in their EPG than it might work, but for the moment I find using the EPG hopeless due to the "let's not do what we say" :evil: attitude of the TV channels/providers.

And so, from where do you get the good info to do your schedule ?

In setup, you can add minutes before and after the start and the end of program to secure the schedule time of the EPG.

If Team MediaPortal add again the old scheduler (not for me), please leave the actual one that plenty satisfy me.

guytpetj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2005
    USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Boris,

A typical evening for me has the following recording schedule (using 2 tuners):
    Net 7: 19:25 - 20:37
    Net 10: 20:37 - 21:35
    Net 7: 21:35 - 23:45
    Net 9: 20:25 - 22:45
    Try to do this with the new scheduler, you can't. I constantly ended up with the start or end of one movie being in another recorded file.

Seems there are many other people having simular problems, and thus not happy wit the current scheduler restrictions.

vbap

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Fully agree with Peter on this one.

I also agree the old dialog box was clumsy, but it worked!!

How about both options with a setting in config about which manual recording type the user prefers?

Normally, I use the EPG to schedule recordings. However, with the way back-to-back recordings are handled (esp. if one has only a single TV tuner card), I either miss out on the beginning of the second show (depending on how much post-buffer I have specified), or, if both shows are on the same channel, then I get the start of the second show as the last few minutes of the first show. So, in this case, I prefer a manual recording so that both programs are in one recording. This cannot be done with the EPG.

Basically, for my needs, the EPG works 75% of the time. When I need to do a manual recording, it's because I want fine control over start and end times (and, therefore, the pre-/post-paddings should be ignored for manual recordings).

samuel337

Portal Pro
    August 25, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Boris said:
    guytpetj said:

And so, from where do you get the good info to do your schedule ?

In setup, you can add minutes before and after the start and the end of program to secure the schedule time of the EPG.

If Team MediaPortal add again the old scheduler (not for me), please leave the actual one that plenty satisfy me.

Consider yourself lucky. The Tv stations down here like to make programs run over time so we're forced to watch the next program because if we switch channels, the shows on the other channels would have already started.

Nothing tells us the exact starting and ending times for TV shows. We're all just used to setting recording timers a few minutes before and about 10 minutes after (especially for shows after Big Brother...). Not sure if the start and end padding work for the manual recordings, but personally I would prefer the old dialog for our 'unique' situation.

Here's a solution that would satisfy everyone:
    Show the new dialog normally, then if you want to set the exact times, then provide an 'Advanced' button that will load the old dialog.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom