Feature Requests (1 Viewer)

Should there be a moderated "Feature Request" section?

• This is a good idea, but it could be better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care either way.

• I don't submit feature requests.

• I think it's a bad idea, but could be improved by....

• I think it's a horrible idea, don't waste our time with this!

• Total voters

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    GitsLM... maybe you should read my whole post....

"I personally think the dev's should be able to work and NOT work on the things they want... This is their project... and I am happy to be able to use THEIR project."

GitsLM

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    Germany / USA
    ASiDiE said:
    GitsLM... maybe you should read my whole post....

"I personally think the dev's should be able to work and NOT work on the things they want... This is their project... and I am happy to be able to use THEIR project."

I did read your whole post :) Since you have different opinions in your post I wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Thanks for the reply m8.

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    Hi GitsLM,

GitsLM said:
    I still think that the devs should consider my idea about closing or deleting posted requests which are already reuqested. Since there will be a list to check it only saves them time. Feedback highly appreciated :)

And the developers would find time for this when? You are suggesting that the developers read every posted feature request, think if it has been posted some time before and delete them. It would be easier to delete all feature request posts, as I think just about everything as already been asked for at least once (Read through the feature request group if you don't believe me)

/James

GitsLM

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    Germany / USA
    James said:
    Hi GitsLM,

GitsLM said:
    I still think that the devs should consider my idea about closing or deleting posted requests which are already reuqested. Since there will be a list to check it only saves them time. Feedback highly appreciated :)

And the developers would find time for this when? You are suggesting that the developers read every posted feature request, think if it has been posted some time before and delete them. It would be easier to delete all feature request posts, as I think just about everything as already been asked for at least once (Read through the feature request group if you don't believe me)

/James

Sorry maybe I am a bit unclear in what I am suggesting.

So I try it again:
    I think that a webteam (for e.g. me and others here) could go through every post and check if the request is already done or not. If it is valid it will be inlcuded in the list I am preparing atm. If it is already requested it will be deleted or closed and moved. So that the devs would have in the future just one list to check and only if they are interested in starting something new. New devs could easily see what is needed and people would not request 10 times the same thing.

IMHO this is a great way to simplify the chaos atm. But I am of course open for any other suggestion.

thechad

Portal Pro
    February 5, 2005
    Geelong, Australia
    Home Country
    I think it could also be helpful to show what features are assigned to which devs so that no duplicate work is done on the same feature.

It would be great to have a list that once a feature has been implemented it can be filtered from the list that way we can see what features are still required instead of wading through an archive of forum posts.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi everyone thanks for all the work and ideas put forward
    i like the idea of a pooled request for any improvement but
    would it not be better to list the todo things that are already in progress to emphasis to the unfortunate few who are in someone elses words so selfish about the petty things and i don't apologise if if you are that person BUT MediaPortal is the BEST and needs to be STABLE for everyone before we add luxuries into it LEAVE the DEV'S Alone so they
    can HELP YOU
    Sorry if i sound ****** off but i agree with Kris

Merry Xmas Smirnoff

Rayuk 8)

GitsLM

Portal Member
    October 19, 2004
    Germany / USA
    Ok, well I am still working on the list. But I think to make it easier to discuss the topic here are the headlines which are included in that list:

New Features
    Enhancements
    Rejected features
    In Progress
    Already implemented (at least in the latest CVS)
    Workarounds
    Official feature list from latest release

I think this covers all but maybe I missed something, so please, advise is always welcome. I also try to include a link to the latest discussions. for each one.

EDIT:
    thechad: the assignemnt to the responsible dev, sounds nice. but therefore I need some feedback from them :) and atm I want to do something which makes less work for them not more. But I will implement a column.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Ok. Here is what made me choose the last oprion (horrible idea):

1) Users want every feature:

Quote from Frodo from Sep, 20th, 2004:

frodo said:
    Whats the exact use of this poll ?
    I mean you already know what the results will be on forehand
    If you ask people if they want feature xyz in MP then i guess everybody will click on YES, I WANT THAT NOW

-So are we going to have a poll for every wanted feature ?
    -Or is this meant to put more pressure on the devs to develop it ?
    -Or...

Frodo

http://nolanparty.com/mediaportal.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1550&highlight=poll+frodo
    Maybe read also the following 2 statement in the thread after the quoted section.

2) Censorship

I might have overreacted, but the word censorship came to my mind, when reading your post. I don´t want to send my feature request to a hidden "central submission box" per email. Who is to decide which request is worth to be posted in the forums?

I am sure, you did not mean it this way and want to help the project as many others. So, don´t feel offended, I am just telling how it came through to me on first impression.
    You asked for improvements: if you make one feature request forum where everyone can post as it is now and a second one where only a mod can open a topic and where he can move interesting new requests or join similar requests and maybe add a poll....

3)It is their project

ASiDiE said:
    This is their project... and I am happy to be able to use THEIR project.

Nothing to do with the original post, but I think it is OUR project. If it wasn´t so, there shouldn´t be a forum at all. Frodo started this off, because he wanted a htpc soft to his likes for his personal use. For some reason he decided to share it with the public. A team formed around it, and you can find the commitments here on the forums to make mp the best htpc soft. And it is on a good way to become it (see last test in german ct magazine for example).
    And who is their and who is them? is it frodo? is it the developpers? what about luke, who is hosting the forums? what about high who gets all the traffic for cvs downloads? what about infintyloop and his test squad? what about people contributing to the wiki? what about all the users helping new users? What about people trying to improve mp with ideas in feature requests? What about you, trying to help the project?

I agree with you that the request forum is very unstructured.
    I think a todo list or road map as we had before is good
    todo is still there (but in dutch) http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mediaportal/mediaportal/Docs/todo.txt?view=markup
    And I think a person who does the linkage between request forums and developer-team would be helpful. Notice developers of good ideas and giving people posting requests a feedback from the developers, good, bad, yes, no, later, no developers, on todo list ,whatever.

tomtom

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    tomtom21000 said:
    Nothing to do with the original post, but I think it is OUR project. If it wasn´t so, there shouldn´t be a forum at all. Frodo started this off, because he wanted a htpc soft to his likes for his personal use. For some reason he decided to share it with the public. A team formed around it, and you can find the commitments here on the forums to make mp the best htpc soft. And it is on a good way to become it (see last test in german ct magazine for example).
    And who is their and who is them? is it frodo? is it the developpers? what about luke, who is hosting the forums? what about high who gets all the traffic for cvs downloads? what about infintyloop and his test squad? what about people contributing to the wiki? what about all the users helping new users? What about people trying to improve mp with ideas in feature requests? What about you, trying to help the project?

I agree with tomtom this is everyones project and putting forward ideas for "possible" future features is never a bad thing. However, search the forums and see if someone has already posted the same thing. As Frodo pointed out he has his own list of features he would like to see in MP.

tomtom21000 said:
    I agree with you that the request forum is very unstructured.
    I think a todo list or road map as we had before is good
    todo is still there (but in dutch) http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mediaportal/mediaportal/Docs/todo.txt?view=markup
    And I think a person who does the linkage between request forums and developer-team would be helpful. Notice developers of good ideas and giving people posting requests a feedback from the developers, good, bad, yes, no, later, no developers, on todo list ,whatever.
    tomtom

The reason the developers don't publish feature lists or what they are currently working on is because then the "when will it come" posts start coming in.

If anyone has a burning desire for a feature then they have to code it themselves. Before I hear everyone shout I cannot program. My question is why not ? No time to learn ? Not a priority ? If you are not going to take the time to do this then way do you think the developers should do it for you?

I know that not everyone is going to program code, but there are other ways to help out. As TomTom pointed out. Its those people who help out without asking for anything in return. That when the time comes make a suggestion to the developers, will find that the developers you more open.

On the other side those who keep demanding features, will put the developers off side. Then the feature will never come from a developer, or the developer will leave.

This is a free time activity for all and needs to be fun. If it is no longer fun and just seems like work (well we all have jobs already), then the work stops and people leave the project.

/James

80sman

Portal Pro
    August 1, 2005
    UK
    I think it's a great idea, at the very least it stops a build up of clutter on the forum.

I totally agree that the developers will take mediaportal in the direction that they would prefere, but it must also be usefull for them to be able to see what the majority of people would like the project direction to head in.

There is no 'you must' in this suggestion. It is just a way of cataloguing and finding out the popularity of future development plans. The developers are doing this for free and should do what they want to do.

I think one of the great things about this project is the fact you can have an input for hundreds or even thousands of people to make this the best htpc software availiable, the downside of this is that it could become very disorganised and any attempt to improve the organisation should be applauded.

It would also be a good way of being able to re-word suggestions that maybe have lost some of the meaning in translation, to become a worthy suggestion as opposed to maybe an offensive critisism. I know sometimes this can happen.

I wouldn't have thought there would or could be any censorship in this idea as everything not duplicated would go onto the board to be voted upon. Maybe this could also be sorted in various ways to sort by newest submitted and most populer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom