Feature suggestions (1 Viewer)

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
February 4, 2009
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
AW: Feature suggestions

At the moment it seems that gemx stopped working on this plug in. So i see no chance to implement your suggestions, i only try to add support for the current TvServer releases.

orencha

Portal Pro
February 2, 2005
Netanya
Home Country
Israel Israel
After playing around a bit with the plugin aspx files and cs code, and configured it to run under IIS, here's my feature suggestions:

- During installation, ask the user which web server to use: either an internal web server (the same one used today) or IIS (in this case, only a folder will be created with all required files in it. Configuration will still be available under TV-Server configuration).

+ Use a master page in aspx, and put the top menu (TV, Radio, Schedules, etc...) in it - so the menu will be available on all pages.

+ Use strings from the existing MediaPortal Language XML files for translation. Most strings should already be there, already translated. Missing strings can be added for future MediaPortal versions. This will make the plugin available in many languages!

+ In the login screen, add a "lightweight interface" checkbox. When checked, interface will be optimized for Cellular/PDA access (such as: skip tv logos). Additionally, the default state of this checkbox can be identified automatically by looking at the "userAgent" string.

+ Change the Picture Streamer so it re-creates a JPG with desired dimensions (WxH), rather than streaming the original file. This may assist with low bandwidth.

+ Optimize ASP.NET code, so less information is sent to the server each time (by removing viewstate where not required, and/or splitting tv/radio/recording etc pages into seperate ASPX pages). Again, this may be usefull in low-bandwidth situations.

+ Show detailed TV program information (including description, episode no. etc) when clicking a tv-show, rather than openning a generic search page for this show.

Suggestions above marked with "+" can be developed by myself, as I have some ASP.NET experience. Please let me know if you would like to see these suggestions implemented, so I can start working on it.

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I'd expect a number of MPWebServices users would welcome these updates.

One feature request which I would make is to have paging available on all service operations, e.g. so you could request a list of movies in chunks of 20.

You may also want to read this post which discusses the future of MPWebServices and the amalgamation of a few MP web interfaces, all suggestions and help are welcome.

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Development on MPWebServices has not really stopped.
    I am still thinking about the next version.
    The biggest problem atm is TIME.
    I don't have any :oops:

The other thing is that we are currently thinking about putting all WebSite approaches together to make something knew.
    This is what cheezy referred to.
    Currently there is no real decision (as far as i know) in what direction we are heading.
    Which means that i don't want to spend the little time i have for development in updating MPWebServices and then drop it because we agreed that the new WebApp will not need MPWebServices.
    So perhaps - cheezy - are there news which approach you like most?

hassegubben

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    My wishlist:
    - Create a full screen slideshow of the pictures
    - A folders section to remotely view and open a Documents folder in Windows, like ORB implemented perhaps?
    - Isn't it possible to use the already mapped paths to all media folders in MePo and access the media where it resides? It was a full night scanning/importing all the databases needed for the paths in MPWS.

And THANKS for a great plugin! Streaming tv is soooo cool. I can uninstall ORB now!! :)

Sinbe

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Would it be possible to have different ip addresses for home network and the Internet? My problem is that I need to be able to stream to LAN without encoding and to the Internet with encoding. However if I set the ip address to my dynamic dns ip, all the traffic goes over the Internet and i run out of bandwidth. Also the channel logos are downloaded from the specified ip, so they won't show when connecting from the Internet.

An easy way around this would be to have two instances of the plugin running with independent configuration files. I know it's not optimal by any means, but It would be good enough for me. So if a feature like this isn't possible in the near future, could gemx possibly compile another version with a different config file for my personal use?

Thanks for this great plugin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom