Feddback on this hardware and XP vs. MCE 2005 (1 Viewer)

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
Mainboard: MSI K8N SLI nforce 4
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 +4000 1 Mb
Memory: Crosair 1024 x 2
VGA: Asus EAX1600 Silent 512 Mb Ati Pci-e
HDD: Seagate 500 Gb S-ATA 16 Mb x 2
TV: Firedtv DVB-T

operating sys???

XP or MCE 2005???????????

Cheers

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
laeb66 said:

operating sys???

Cheers
There will be people who become very happy by this hardware. I have no idea though if you're part of that group. What do you want? Upgradable? A lot of games? Will it be an exclusive HTPC? What's your budget constraint? etc.
I personally have my doubts on SLI in a HTPC. For a HTPC, you don't need raw GPU processing power as in games, but you need advancced filters (the AVIVO/PureVideo developments e.g.), so the added value of SLI (double you processing power) as a upgrade option is quite limited I'd say.

Nemulate

Portal Pro
December 29, 2005
IOW
Home Country
England England
That's some spec you have there! Not that I'm jealous of course :twisted: Depends if your going to use MCE and if you want full networking which Pro offers over MCE.

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
onkl said:
laeb66 said:

operating sys???

Cheers
There will be people who become very happy by this hardware. I have no idea though if you're part of that group. What do you want? Upgradable? A lot of games? Will it be an exclusive HTPC? What's your budget constraint? etc.
I personally have my doubts on SLI in a HTPC. For a HTPC, you don't need raw GPU processing power as in games, but you need advancced filters (the AVIVO/PureVideo developments e.g.), so the added value of SLI (double you processing power) as a upgrade option is quite limited I'd say.

I ust gone run over 1 gpu.. I bugt this one because I need 3 PCI and it´s plenty of space between PCI-e and the PCI slots...
I gone start up the system right away....

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
laeb66 said:
onkl said:
laeb66 said:

operating sys???

Cheers

I ust gone run over 1 gpu.. I bugt this one because I need 3 PCI and it´s plenty of space between PCI-e and the PCI slots...
Ahh, I thought you were looking for hardware selection also. On the OS: I'd take XP pro (not Home obviously) over MCE:
-If it's the PC you'll work on, pro is more stable than home when you clutter your system with all kind of "handy" apps like I for one love to do.
-If it's gonna be a HTPC alone, you can let it double as a media server (1 TB, just a wild guess :wink: ) and benefit from the better network options Pro offers.
On the other hand, MCE might be an option to keep girlfriends/wives (singular is more probable than plural I understood) happy if you're playing around with the sometimes buggy newest CVS too often. I understood (don't use DVB myself, so not sure) that MCE needs at least one analogue card to configure the DVB tuners :?, you may want to check on that gossip first.

laeb66

Portal Pro
March 20, 2005
Sweden
onkl said:
laeb66 said:
onkl said:
laeb66 said:

operating sys???

Cheers

Ahh, I thought you were looking for hardware selection also. On the OS: I'd take XP pro (not Home obviously) over MCE:
-If it's the PC you'll work on, pro is more stable than home when you clutter your system with all kind of "handy" apps like I for one love to do.
-If it's gonna be a HTPC alone, you can let it double as a media server (1 TB, just a wild guess :wink: ) and benefit from the better network options Pro offers.
On the other hand, MCE might be an option to keep girlfriends/wives (singular is more probable than plural I understood) happy if you're playing around with the sometimes buggy newest CVS too often. I understood (don't use DVB myself, so not sure) that MCE needs at least one analogue card to configure the DVB tuners :?, you may want to check on that gossip first.

Yeah yor righ this system gone be usefull...
AMD rocks!!!!

Finalised XP install now.. And it´s a fast little machine :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom